Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio speed problem

• Please log in to reply

Magmom

Magmom

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, this is my first time here. Please excuse my computer illiteracy. I'm having a very annoying sound problem. Any sound coming from my computer is at a very fast speed. It sounds like Alvin and the chipmonks are living in my computer. I can play a cd and have it play perfectly. I'm running Windows 2000 Professional. , I have Windows Media Player, but I've also noticed that it happens when I'm in my Kodak Easy Share program playing back video that I've taken with my digital camera. The speed of the video itself is ok but the sound is too fast. It also seems that the speed of the Windows music when I boot up the computer is also too fast. It looks like everything sound related is affected with the exception of playing cds. I'd appreciate any help.

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well, I had a bad experience with Windows 2000 Pro myself, but I didn't have to deal with it for years now... I dont know what the problem could be, but i CAN tell you why playing CD's isnt changed... That would be because your CD tray is directly plugged into your sound card.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello Magmom and welcome to Geeks to Go.

My family has experienced a similar problem after installing a Pet video game. If you have installed anything lately, somehow someway a program that you've installed may not have been fully compatable and could have affected your sound.

In your reply to me, please include the following:

1. Any programs you've installed just prior to your sound messing up.
2. Your type of internet connection.
3. The name of your Anti-virus program.
4. The name of your Anti-spyware program(s).
5. The age of your computer.
6. The model of your computer.
7. If you've installed a new soundcard, please include the model of the soundcard.

It may take a bit of troubleshooting, but we'll get this fixed. :tazz:

Magmom

Magmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi computerwiz12890

Thanks for responding. About 2 months ago I had major problems with my computer and it all started when I was trying to install Verizon Internet Security Suite. It turned out there was a problem with my Internet Explorer (I think). Verizon kept saying it was a Dell problem, Dell kept saying it was Verizon. It was finally a Verizon guy who helped me get Explorer running properly or at least enough to finish the install for the Verizon Internet Security Suite. In about a week I started having problems where I couldn’t get online at all. Verizon again told me it was a Dell problem. Dell had me do a repair which didn’t fix anything instead I couldn’t even log onto Windows. They told me I’d have to do a reload wiping everything off my hard drive. Not being backed up, I had to find a way to get backed up first. A friend took the computer and installed a new drive (Drive F) and copied all my files over and then he had me reinstall all of my software. All of this time my speakers weren’t working. My friend had me look up things on the computer and told me it wasn’t recognizing my sound card. He took the computer back and I’m not sure if he installed a new sound card or what (I can’t get ahold of him right now) and returned the computer. When I told him about the speed of the sound he said he’d never heard of anything like that but he’d look into it. He hasn’t found anything that I know of. Long story short (too late for that) all of my programs were installed just prior to the sound messing up. I’d appreciate any info you might have on this.

1. Programs installed just prior to sound messing up. All of them. If you need me to list everything, I can.
2. Type of internet connection is Verizon DSL.
3. The name of my Anti-virus program is Verizon Internet Security Suite.
4. The name of my Anti-spyware programs are Verizon Internet Security Suite, Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spybot S&D.
5. The age of my computer is 4 years.
6. The model of my computer is a Dell Dimension 4100 Systems.
7. I don’t know if it’s new or not but I think the model of the soundcard is AC’97 Soundcard.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I appreciate all the detail, that really helps me to figure out your problem. It is most likely a software problem. Either missing files or incompatable drivers. Connect to the internet and download the latest drivers for your sound card. I'm not that familiar with Windows 2000, but I believe the following instructions will get you to Device Manager, which is where you need to go to get the latest drivers. To do this:

1. Right-click on my computer and select Properties

2. Click on the Hardware tab and click on Device Manager. If you see any X's or exlamation points next to anything, make a note of it and include it in your reply to me.

3. There will be a catagory called "Sound, Video, and game controllers". Click on the "+" next to that catagory or double-click on its name in order to expand that catagory, unless it is already expanded. If your sound card has a problem, it might have an X or exclamation point next to your sound card name.

4. Double-click on the item that has the name of your sound card. If there is something in the area that says "Device Status", make a note of it and include it in your reply to me, unless it says something about your driver since we are about to address any issues related to it.

5. Click on the tab that says Driver and click on the button that says Update Driver. Follow the wizard and get an update off of the internet. If the update is successful, restart your computer and try your sound out. If it has problems finding an update, let me know. I will show you how to get the model of your sound card and I will find an update manually for you.

Magmom

Magmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi computerwiz12890,

Thank you, thank you, thank you, a million times . . . thank you! That fixed it. Alvin and the chipmonks have left my computer.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Wonderful! Glad I could help. :tazz:

Magmom

Magmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Do I need to do anything else to close my topic?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Nope. Only Malware topics and a few other "special" topics are closed. We're all done here, unless you got another question or something.