Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless connection

• Please log in to reply

roscoeb

roscoeb

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello:

I have an IBM T30 with which I can usually make a connection to a public wireless network and go on to the Internet, but I have had trouble at a couple of places repeatedly. I have a wireless setup at home that works perfectly. I can successfully connect at most airports and at lots of hotels.

This weekend, however, I was unable to connect successfully to an wireless netowrk at a La Quinta hotel -- even though my computer said that the signal strength was "excellent" and that my computer's status was "connected". The hotel staff wasn't able to help. I have always had good luck at La Quinta's before.

In addition, I have never been able to successfully connect at the Albuquerque airport on their public network. To repeat, I almost never have trouble connecting elsewhere (hotels, airports, malls, auto dealer, etc.).

Is this just one of those Windows things (I use Windows XP Pro, SP2, with the most current updates)?

Any trouble-shooting advice would be appreciated.

Quentin

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
being that these are public networks...that you don't have access to the infrastructure of (routers and whatnot) it's hard to say what is causing the issue....since you have no issues connecting anywhere else...i would be inclined to assume that it's a problem on their end...either due to not having the right access credentials...or possibly that they are using a different protocol than that which your wireless card supports (such as your's only supports up to 802.11 b and their network is 802.11 g only)

qcburrows

qcburrows

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, well, well! Maybe it's because my wireless card is 802.11b. Is it likely that Albuquerque airport would only support "g" and that my card (it's built-in) would work at some LaQuinta's but not others?

Thanks,

Quentin

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible....and it's a reasonable explanation....one way or the other...it's "their" fault...not yours....at least...by the description you've given...