Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video issue

• Please log in to reply

wigsout

wigsout

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
My computer will boot up with no problem, then after using it for a short period of time, my screen goes black and it says "no signal." It appears that the computer continues to run during this time. If I reboot, the screen is visible for a short period of time, then again goes black.

The only info I have on the card is that it is an NVIDIA Geforce 3D(?) 64mb. I apologize that I don't have more info handy as I have not had any problems with it since I built it in 2002.

BTW, my electricity goes off every time the wind blows and has repeatedly rebooted my computer for me.

I believe that the card has gone bad and needs replaced, but would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would say that either the card is going bad, or it isn't seated well, or it's over heating...

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It does sound like it could be the video card, but as said you should make sure that it is properly seated and that the machine is clean and all the fans are working to ensure that heat is not an issue. Also, if you have another monitor, try that to determine if it is the video card or the monitor, especially since you have mentioned power issues. Also check to make sure that the video cable is secure. While it is not often, cables can go bad, strange as it seems, so if you have another cable you could try that too.

I would strongly suggest that you consider getting a UPS to protect the computer from power problems. I have seen a 1100VA for around $125, but people sometimes get rid of old units and give them away, but typically that means the unit will need a new battery which is cheaper than buying a new unit. As a side note, a UPS is also good to protect other electronic devices when there are power issues.