Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netgear Router Problem

• Please log in to reply

ozzyndg

ozzyndg

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I have just got a new Netgear Mr814V2 wireless router in addition to my new laptop. I have both 2 computers and a laptop plugged into this but I am having a slight problem getting connected. my laptop can see the router and sometimes (about 1 in 4 tries) can connect and talk to it but is not detecting my internet connection this is the same with the other computers connected to it aswell, somtimes i can log onto the router and somtimes I cant.

Hovever I can conect to the internet with it now and again but this only lasts about 2 hours then cuts off again. Ive tried restarting it countless times and have even took the router back to the store twice thinking there is a prblem with the device itself. all of the time the computers are saying limited or no connectivity and cant seem to get rid of it.

P.S I had a simular router before by netgear without the wireless option and that work fine.

Thank YOu

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Are all of the computers connected through the wireless?

Do you have any other devices, such as a wireless phone, around? For example, I have a wireless video transmitter and it works well as a wireless security device since I can not use the wireless router when it is turned on. It sounds like you might have something which is interfering. Not all wireless phones are compatible with wireless computer gear.

ozzyndg

ozzyndg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No its just the laptop connected to the wireles network and I have no other wireless devices around. thanks for the reply

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Well, I just recalled a friend of mine having a similar problem and checked his web page to see the details again and it turns out that the unit was a Netgear device and the problems are similar. I suspect it is a problem with the device, but it is not specific to one unit, but a design/software issue.

I would strongly suggest that you return the device and get a different brand.

Search the web for "Netgear router review and problems" and you should find it (I need to check the rules about posting links here). There are also comments from others stating similar problems.

ozzyndg

ozzyndg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I can now connect to the router fully with both computers but it still si not picking up my internet connection correctly. Id rather not bring it back as I got it at a bargain price.

Thanks

Edited by ozzyndg, 29 November 2005 - 03:41 AM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Well, based on comments I have seen from other users of netgear, you might have a chance of it working if you change your ISP. As I said, a friend had one of these and ended up having to get a different unit because it and two replacements just did not work correctly.

I am not sure of what else to say. I suspect that if you got a different unit it would work and while it would be nice if you could get this unit to work, that might not be possible. You might be able to trade someone else or sell it.

kate22in

kate22in

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Just try updating the firmware for the router.Check the following link.
http://kbserver.netg...R814v2.asp.once you update the firmware do a hard reset and reconfigure it.