Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

white powder on DVD/ CD

• Please log in to reply

jkareafive

jkareafive

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Just recently noticed a fine white residual powder appearing on the underside of DVD's/ CD's that have been played at length after ejecting from my DVD burner (playing or burning, doesn't matter). Powder appears twords center of disc around hole. No general searches have come up with any info. Any help appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you ever used your computer to transport illegal substances? Just kidding.....there may be something physically wrong with the drive...maybe the motor that spins the disk is going out...or a part within the device is out of spec...is it still under warranty?

jkareafive

jkareafive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I was wondering when somebody was going to ask that one.... nope. :tazz: No illegal substances. I haven't noticed anything different with the disks themselves - wondering at first if the laser was eating away at the disc. It's a few years old so I doubt warranty is an option. I could replace it - just didn't want to if it wasn't necessary and it seems to be working fine otherwise. What are the odds that it's damaging the discs ?

Thanks !

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...pretty high actually....depending on what is causing the issue...you could go 2 years without it causing a real problem....but..it could start eating disks tomorrow....without knowing the root of the issue it's hard to say...for now...in theory...if it's not causing a huge problem...i guess you should b e fine...but...you need to take into account that...if there's dust being put onto the disk...then some is falling into the drive...which means it's gonna multiply whatever problem is causing this at a rapid rate...just be carefull and use good judgement.....

jkareafive

jkareafive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Good advice dsenette. Will take heed. Last question - is the dvd drive a contained unit (pioneer internal) - should I be concerned about dust getting into my case ? I'll also add that if anybody knows exactly what this is caused by I'd love to know !

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
depending on where the dust is truly coming from...it could be either inside of an area that is enclosed...or not...like i said...since we don't know where the dust is coming from...there's no easy way to tell..

jkareafive

jkareafive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Good advice dsenette. Will take heed. Last question - is the dvd drive a contained unit (pioneer internal) - should I be concerned about dust getting into my case ? I'll also add that if anybody knows exactly what this is caused by I'd love to know !