Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hey quick question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DZHANG

DZHANG

• Pip
  • 3 posts
is it possible to hide a program so that it does not show in the add/remove programs? juts want to know

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
why?

Frustrated05

Frustrated05

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
i guess it would be kinda neat but why else would u wanna no?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Yes, it's possible, and not real difficult unfortunately. :)

...and no, we won't tell you how to do it! :tazz:

JayBern

JayBern

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Yes, it's possible, and not real difficult unfortunately. :)

...and no, we won't tell you how to do it! :)

:tazz:

that's wicked sick! O.O lol. anyway, admin, please look at your new GeekU students who signed up. im one of them and it's been two days, look into it! . =D

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Why on earth wouldnt you tell someone how to do something like that?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
because we cannot verify the reasons for asking how to do it...that is a very good way of hiding a virus....or other mallicious software....as well as other programs that we can't help with.....besides...the only reason to hide anything on a computer...is if you don't want someone else to know about it...and...well...why wouldnt you want someone to know about it?...or remove it?...it's just not something we can help with over the internet...if we were in person...then it might be a different situation

JayBern

JayBern

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

because we cannot verify the reasons for asking how to do it...that is a very good way of hiding a virus....or other mallicious software....as well as other programs that we can't help with.....besides...the only reason to hide anything on a computer...is if you don't want someone else to know about it...and...well...why wouldnt you want someone to know about it?...or remove it?...it's just not something we can help with over the internet...if we were in person...then it might be a different situation

good point there. this forum is a forum of geeks to help out people in malware problems. so it would only be contradicting if the staff team help people to hide files and create virus. =)

further more, even if one would say,"no no im not making a virus!". it wouldn't be a solid reason why the staff team should help. =)

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Having worked as a professional technician myself, there are times where hiding a program from add/remove could be useful. For example, if I want to force an end user to have a program (perhaps monitoring or security) and not be able to get rid of it. (In an environment without a domain and policies) We don't want end users to be able to remove their virus checker for example.

Also, if I was smart enough to write a virus or malware I'd be smart enough to skip having an add/remove componant or at the very least be smart enough to use other resources on the internet to find out. (Which I haven't listed for fear of upsetting a moderator here)

I honestly think you're taking the "you can use this knowledge for evil" routine too far. What if someone asks how to partition and format their hard drive? Are you going to deny them that too? When I was a kid at school I used this knowledge to format school computers and run... yet I'm sure you wouldn't refuse to help someone re-install their computer if they wanted to.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm a crook :) :tazz: :)

-Ady

PS. Granted this guy probably had a poor reason to do this and I'm probably wasting my effort even writing this. So... dude, why do you want to know anyway? :woot:

PPS. The post before mine simply looks like a cadet trying to impress his drill sergent.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
#1...<----not a drill seargent...don't even know beanie...

#2....if i were helping this person in well..person...i would probably have no problem showing them how to do this...but this is an internet forum...and we have rules...we have to follow those rules....and if something could violate those rules...we don't do it....frankly....given the tone of the original post....i doubt there was a good reason for him to be hiding a program...probably just wanting to hide something from mom and dad.....

we also have to take into account that...yes...there are many places on the internet where you can find the sollution to this problem...but we will n either lead you to that sollution...nor become another googlehit for the sollution...it's just policy....if you don't like it....tough

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im a sergeant and we dont like suck ups.

Would have been easier to google it in the first place there is ten unscrupulous tech sites to every scrupulous one like ours.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
LOL

Its not very hard to do at all but, I wont tell ya either sorry.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I, too, am a sergeant and suck-ups DO get my attention, although, not in the way they expect. When a rookie makes it through my training, it's because he or she earned it and suck-ups get a little "extra training" just so they understand that it's what they know, not who they know that gets them out of my gunsights...:tazz:

I wouldn't give up the information in open forum, either...for all of the above mentioned reasons.

wannabe1

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I'll have to disagree with the majority of you then. Not much point arguing my opinion either. I think you're hypocrites, and you don't care what I think. :tazz: :)

Antartic-Boy

Antartic-Boy

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,120 posts

is it possible to hide a program so that it does not show in the add/remove programs? juts want to know

Hi DZHANG, noone will answer you on this forum for your question, so use Google, I am sure that you will find your answer :tazz: