Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

calderd

calderd

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi there,

I shut down my PC last night - everything was fine and now today it will not boot up (it won't go past the black screen where it lists the PCI devices). I have inserted my Win XP cd and have attempted a repair. The computer has completed this, but is still not booting and now I am getting a green happy face on the screen (replaces the 'o' in serious bus controller). I have also tried to get into the computer in Safe Mode, but since the computer isn't booting up even that far I am unable to get in. Any suggestions??

Please help!

Danielle

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Danielle!

Seems like there could be something wrong with the BIOS. So you are going to reset it. To do this, do the following:
  • Turn off your computer
  • Remove the power cord from the back of your computer
  • Open the side panel
  • Locate the CMOS battery (it's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel) and remove it
  • Wait at LEAST 5 minutes
  • Put the CMOS battery back in
  • Re-attach the side panel
  • Re-attach the power cord to the back of the computer
  • Power on your computer
You will probably get a CMOS checksum error first time booting after doing this. Don't worry this is NORMAL. It only means that you need to set the date & time on your computer again. It should say to press one of the Function keys or DEL to enter SETUP. Do so and reset the correct date & time. Make sure you SAVE CHANGES before you exit setup.

Once you have saved the settings, Exit SETUP and let the computer reboot and see how far you get now in the boot up process.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 28 November 2005 - 09:09 PM.

calderd

calderd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Fenor,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly :tazz: I did what you suggested and am still unable to boot up any further - the good news is that the green smiley face is gone. The bad news is, I am now getting a floppy disk failure and the trend chip away virus guard is on. I went into set-up and disabled these 2 items and tried to re-boot, but am still getting the same result. The PC will not boot past the screen that shows the "PCI Device Listing"

Any more suggestions?

Danielle