Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Win 2000 over Win XP

• Please log in to reply

cj4qts

cj4qts

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am going backwards in my life and am trying to install Win 2000 over a Win XP drive. It's a long story, don't ask. Anyway, I cannot seem to format the drive. It either freezes up or I get the error message: Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disc utilities or or other programs that are using the drive and then try formatting again. I don't get it. I tried booting off of a Win 2000 boot diskbut it wants to se the CD-ROM in my CD drive that I am upgrading FROM. I am downgrading so it freaks out when I put a Win XP diskin the drive. Any suggestions?

Andy

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well, 2 things occur to my mind.

1- Why in God's name would you go BACK to win2k? I hated that windows, in my opinion the worse out there... but anyways, thats just me.

2- You might want to try with a third party program, such as Partition Magic... But that might endup a lil complicated, so I'd say go through DOS, maybe with a dos bootup disk, and use the fdisc command... or format c: ( i know that works in win98 anyway ).

Hope it helps.