Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I eject a CD?

• Please log in to reply

David Lewis

David Lewis

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have an Iomega ZipCD burner. How do I eject a CD? Pressing the EJECT button on the front bezel doesn't do anything. Using the EJECT buttons on MicroSoft CD Player and RealPlayer doesn't do anything either, although both programs will open the trays just fine on my other two drives (CD-ROM and DVD-R). There is no hole for a paper clip on the front bezel.

Occasionally the Iomega ZipCD tray will open *by itself*, or the drive motor will start up *by itself*, when I'm doing other things that are not related to that CD drive in any way.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You're doing everything right. The drive may be defective. Best thing is swap it with another drive in another machine and see if it behaves the same, or the other drive has the same problem. That will isolate the problem to the drive or the computer. It's possible that the problem may be solved by reinstalling drivers, or by reflashing the BIOS in the cd-rom. Also the jumper settings can cause problems.

Edited by Tyger, 28 November 2005 - 06:25 PM.

David Lewis

David Lewis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you for your fast response. I have narrowed down the problem. The Nero CD burning software started up by itself and froze my computer. When I hit the Exit button (on the Nero dialogue box), nothing happened the first few times, but then I pressed the Exit button and a speaker inside the computer made a beep and my computer locked up. When I hit restart, I got an "Unknown Hard Error" message.

I'm running Norton AV 2006, Ewido security suite, Ad-Aware SE (custom configuration), Spybot S&D, and other anti-malware programs [I can't remember them all]. Latest updates are installed for the operating system and Norton, plus my computer spent a week in the shop being checked out by the best anti-malware technician in town ($$$), which found a few things I didn't catch.

I would like to find and correct this problem (computer locks up, CD tray opens and closes by itself, plus there is no way to eject a CD) as quickly as possible, even a quickie patch or work-around to get me by for now, because what I have been doing for the last few months is spending all day long fixing my computer [as soon as I fix one thing, something else breaks down] and *no productive work is getting done in the meantime*.

David Lewis

David Lewis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I uninstalled Roxio/Adaptec InCD4 (CD writer), and most of my problems are now solved. My PC still freezes occasionally, but only for a minute, but then it starts working again.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Do you have nero incd running? I know I sometimes have problems ejecting when it is, I runs as a process in the backround and you don't even know it.

press Ctrl/Alt/delete the click on the process tab, look for incdsvr.exe and then click on end process. See if this helps.

Incd is only needed when using cdrw's

As far as the freezing for a minute, when does this now occur? What are you doing when it freezes? Is it the same thing that only makes it freeze or does it do it at random?

Rick

David Lewis

David Lewis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
(I think InCD was actually published by Adaptec, not Nero). Anyway, no, I never use any Adaptec (now owned by Roxio) media burning programs because the quality of their software is deplorable, and tech support is non-existent.

The actual problem was, I removed Adaptec EasyCD Creator, but forgot to uninstall InCD, and it was conflicting with Nero Express. Right now, Nero Express is not getting along with something else (possibly realPlayer v10, which also contains a CD burning engine), but it only slows me down, doesn't put me totally out of business.

The uninstall utility terminated the incdsvr.exe process for me, so your diagnosis was accurate.

The freezing occurs at random.

David Lewis

David Lewis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I disconnected the data cable from the CD burner and that fixed the problem. Everything is working perfectly now.