Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

UPS question


  • Please log in to reply

#1
Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I am looking at getting a Universal power supply for my pc. Does a UPS always run off of the battery? or does it just surge protect and the battery kick in when the power fails? The reason I want to know is... my laser printer makes the lights flash and in my room and the other rooms in the house on the same floor. Its really annoying... would a ups stop that? If it doesn't alway run of of the battery then I don't think it would help.. but if it does, I think it what I need to get.

I like this ups
  • 0

Advertisements


#2
Doby

Doby

    Member 2k

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

A ups only goes to battery backup when the power fails and is the best surge protecter you can get.
A ups will correct low voltages in a ac line for a short period by going on battery but it is not meant for what you want to do with your lazor printer and I would not recommend trying it.

Your problem is most likely your house wirering because you mentioned all the light on the same floor dim, whats happening is the printer draws more power than the wirer can give and in the process takes away power from other appliances, lights,computers Tv's ect.

This is not good and this condition should blow a fuse to protect the wirer.

You need a electrican, I would however recomend you get a ups to protect your computer from this and that it will do.

Rick
  • 0

#3
Kemasa

Kemasa

    Nobody

  • Technician
  • 1,575 posts
First, a slight correction, a UPS is an Uninteruptable Power Supply :-).

A UPS does not always run off of the battery, but it does keep the voltage what it needs to be, so it might help with your laser printer since the UPS should help to keep the voltage to the laser printer constant. If you get a UPS for all the other items in the room, then you won't have the problem anymore :-).

I am not sure if that UPS you mentioned is big enough, especially if you put your laser printer on it. You need to check the power requirements for all the devices you intend to plug into it. Read the comment about the user who upgraded to a 450w power supply and over loaded it.

I personally like the APC UPS. I have seen the 1100VA for around $125.

Any device which has a high start load will cause the power to drop for a short time, regardless of the wiring, and that does not indicate a problem with the wiring. If the device actually exceeded the power for the circuit, it would trip the breaker or blow the fuse (depending on which you have).

Edited by Kemasa, 28 November 2005 - 07:50 PM.

  • 0

#4
Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

    Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

First, a slight correction, a UPS is an Uninteruptable Power Supply :-).

Any device which has a high start load will cause the power to drop for a short time, regardless of the wiring, and that does not indicate a problem with the wiring. If the device actually exceeded the power for the circuit, it would trip the breaker or blow the fuse (depending on which you have).



thanks both of you for your help a thanks Kemasa for the correction...

what puzzels me is my laser printer isn't big, its just a little samsung ML-2010.
heres the specs on the back
volts Ac 110 -127V
Hertz 50/60Hz
Amps 4.5A

when my laser printer is on in power save mode it doesn't dim the lights, but when I go to print something, and the printer goes out of power save mode, the lights will dim a little every 20-30 seconds until it goes back into power save mode( 5 min). The circut breaker has never blown. I just want would like to know for sure if the ups will solve my problem.
  • 0

#5
Doby

Doby

    Member 2k

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I assume because you have 110v you live in the US, could you answer me a couple of questions, that will tell me a bit more about your house wirering this will enable us to see if the ups will be the best solution.

How many amp is the circut breaker it will be printed on it?

How old is your house and wiring?

A ups maybe a temporary solution but the problem is if there ain't enough amps being supplied to the outlets the ups will turn to battery power far to often.

typically a room, not a whole second floor will be wirered on a 15amp breaker so if your printer is drawing 4.5 amps that leaves 10.5 for lights,computers or whatever else may be pluged into the recepticals. this is acceptable for 1 room but consider what else is also drawing amps from the rest of the rooms on that floor this will add up to more than 15 amp and force the breaker to trip.

Ok so your don't, maybe because (and this is what most people that don't understand electricity install) the breaker is larger than 15A problably 30A, yea this keeps the breaker from tripping but overloads the wirer to a point that it can't handel and something gotta give. Thats why the lights dimm and also anything else on that circut don't get enough power for a few seconds.

This condition is not what a ups is intended for and I can't with sound mind recommend it to do so even if it does work because sooner or later this could cause a firer.

The solution is to have another breaker and seperate power wirer to the room were your equipment is.

Rick
  • 0

#6
Kemasa

Kemasa

    Nobody

  • Technician
  • 1,575 posts
There are multiple issues with respect to power and what you are seeing with the laser printer is one of them. A laser printer uses toner to create the image, but that is a powder and needs to be attached to the paper. The way that is done is heat it, the element in the printer is called the fuser, which when running it needs to maintain a given temperature, much like a room heater. What you are seeing is the cycle of a high current heater element. When the printer is in standby, then that is allowed to cool down and so it does not take power.

I think a UPS is a good idea and it might help, but I would not expect it to really solve the problem. I suspect it would make it a lot less noticable.

If the electrical was done to code, the wiring and the circuit breaker is matched so that the wiring can handle the current and that the breaker will trip before there is a problem (unless you do it the Dave Barry way :-). Typical circuits in a house is 15A or 20A, anything higher than that has a different plug (even a 20A can have a different plug), so it is not possible that you would have a 30A breaker in a room unless someone did something bad.

You might want to see what you have plugged into that circuit and see if you can reduce the power being used, such as lower power lights (compact fluorescent). Also check to see if there is more than one circuit in the room.

It is possible that you could have a wiring problem, but I would doubt it. I have seen high power devices do that to lights (especially an older microwave) in multiple buildings.
  • 0

#7
Doby

Doby

    Member 2k

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

he reason I want to know is... my laser printer makes the lights flash and in my room and the other rooms in the house on the same floor.



I have never seen a laser printer do that and yes if its to code witch I doubt the wirer would be matched to the breaker but I have seen far to often where someone replaces a breaker with a bigger one to keep it from tripping.
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP