Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 2000 locked up

• Please log in to reply

andrewmccollom

andrewmccollom

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Worked with michelle in live chat, still unable to fix. can't access anything from task mgr. Used last good configuration in safe mode but didn't change anything.
After start up can't click on any icon's, background is black not light blue, can see the start menu but when i move the mouse over, it turns into hour glass. Pretty much locked out, able to use other computer now, while laptop is locked up.
Please offer any ideas, thanks.

Advertisements

rob roy

rob roy

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Did you try in safe mode, if you can get into safe mode check what is starting up. right click on the task bar then click on task manager to see what applications are running.

andrewmccollom

andrewmccollom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
now i get page cannot be displayed when i try to get online, in safe mode i get explorer.exe
has generated an error and will be shut down by windows

all i want for christmas is my laptop to work

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
A window repair installation is warranted here...sounds like a very low level corruption

As a test. start in save mode, hit ctrl-alt-del, and then FILE > NEW, and go to c:\winnt\explorer.exe

andrewmccollom

andrewmccollom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
then my documents opens up after the same error as before,
still not able to get online