Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external harddrive question

• Please log in to reply

WooDyR

WooDyR

• Pip
  • 8 posts
im probably getting a external hdd soon and i was wondering how they work exactly.. plug and play? do you need put a OS on it? i wanna use this thing as a huge flashdrive to store all my goods in it..

heres the one i wanna get soon
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822161828

just wanna know how they work exactly before i buy it..

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi WooDyR!

Yes external hard drives work basically like flash drives. They both plug into a usb slot on the back or front of your computer depending on where the USB slots are located on your computer. The first time you plug them in, it takes a little bit for Windows to recognize them and to located and install the drivers for them, but after that they are both recognized immediately and can be used as soon as you plug them in. As long as you are running Windows XP, then the drivers will be found automatically. Once the drivers are installed you will be able to see it. You will see it listed in MY COMPUTER and will be able to drag and drop, copy/paste or save files directly to the external hard drive. And also access them just as easily.

The only difference between the two is that external hard drives need to be plugged into an outlet to receive power while flash drives get their power directly from the usb slot itself.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 29 November 2005 - 07:53 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as long as ure just using the device for storage...there's no need to install an opperating system on it....also...it's not very easy to install windows on a usb drive...(depending on your motherboard)...the drive just needs to be formatted correctly...then filled with your "goods"....

WooDyR

WooDyR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thanks guy.

redline582

redline582

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
If you want it is even cheaper to just buy a normal internal HDD and buy an external enclosure. All it is is a case with either an IDE or SATA interface that converts it to USB 2.0 or IEEE 1394 (firewire). I usually buy my HDD and the enclosure from www.newegg.com. Of course that is just my suggestion and if you dont want the hassle you can just buy an external drive haha. There isnt that much of a difference i just like to put things together.