Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System cant find any program? HELP PLZ

• Please log in to reply

CRAZYWHITEBOY

CRAZYWHITEBOY

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i leave me house then some people get on my computer and when i got back it shows the lil icon saying that it cant find the file but is shows it for every program.... i go into the c drive and it has the files in it but it cant read any exe files..... no programs will work i cant even get CMD to run i go into control pannal and it oly lets me click on a few things the rest are just dead links.....when i download a program right after its done it shows the icon meaning it cant find it and it wont run at all. when i put a game in the disk drive it isnt even able to find the programs on there is shows the files but it just cant run anything....i tryed to but the windows xp disk in to do a restore and the disk loads but i cant click on the option to instal xp... so i put the disk in a re-booted the comp and it startes to load the disk but then shows a plain black screen with a cusor blinking in the top left corner and the computer is now frozen.... Trendmicro found 2 viruses and were deleated, I then tryed ewido's onlinescan it found 300 infections and i deleated those. symantec and stinger , which were recomended to me didnt work beacause i cant load anything download. can somone please help me i have thousands of dollors in software and i dont wanna lose it all but if i have to i will re-instal windows xp if i can even get that to work but thats as a last resort....

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for a system checkpoint

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

If this runs OK, you may have re-instated the virus files you removed

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

CRAZYWHITEBOY

CRAZYWHITEBOY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

i tryed that and when it is all done it actualy shows the icons on the desktop (only on the desktop not in all programs in start) but i cant open them at all it just like when they didnt work exept when i click on it it does nothing doesnt even say windows cant open.... when i restart the computer then the icons go back to not being the stupid icon but it opens the window saying it cant open it....

If this runs OK, you may have re-instated the virus files you removed

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

[color="#000099"]If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

i cant open and load ANYTHING the only thing i can open is internet explore and thats only because it askes if i wanna find somthing on the internet to open the program

Edited by CRAZYWHITEBOY, 29 November 2005 - 03:12 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

Alternatively, you may need to boot the PC, keep tapping F8 until you get options, select safe mode with command prompt then type sfc /scannow and press enter, or type sfc /scannonce then press enter, then reboot

Once you have done this, use any installation disc for any programme which is on the PC and install / re-install it, reboot and check the programme runs

If you are unable to do any of the above, then download the programmes from the malware removal guide with another PC, save them to CDR and load them on to the PC with problems