Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

formatting a hard drive

• Please log in to reply

clouds_kt

clouds_kt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I Have really mess up my computer. It had a malware in it real bad so someone told me to just reinstall window ME over Windows ME so I did that. Now when it boots up it says explorer has cause an error and will shut down. It won't connect to the Internet because it says the modems not install, but I know it is. So I just want to start new. How do I do this or can it be fix without reformatting the hard drive. Oh I don't have any of the software to this computer it was a used computer. I hope someone can help. Thanks for reading. :tazz:

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Before you format make sure that you have the CD-Key/Product Key for Windows ME. If you cant find the CD-Key, post back so I can walk you thought on how to get it form the reg.

clouds_kt

clouds_kt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i do have one

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
(Step 01)
You need to make sure that you have the BIOS/Startup, so that the CDROM drives boots before the Hard Drive. To do this, you need to enter the BIOS/Startup by pressing: ESC, F1, F2, or DEL. Usually during POST (boot up) there should be something on the bottom stating on how to enter the BIOS/Startup. Press the button that it says to press or try one of the above until you enter BIOS/Startup Menu. Now using the arrow keys, there should be a tab that says, Startup/Boot Order. Under that should be a list with a list of options, make the 1st Boot - Floppy/3.5 Floppy, 2nd Boot - CDROM, 3rd Boot - Hard Drive, 4th Boot - Other. Place the CD in the CDROM Drive, save and exit the BIOS settings.

(Step 02)
After exiting the BIOS the computer will restart. Select Boot from CD.

(Step 03)
Start computer with CD-ROM support. You will come to the black screen with the A:\  Now type D:\WIN9X\format C:

This is how the screen will look:

A:\D:\WIN9X\format C:

You will be asked if you want to proceed with the format. Press Y, and then Enter. Depending on the size of the Hard Drive, this may take a while. After it is done formatting, press Enter (Do not enter a label).

(Step 04)
Now it is time to start the install of Windows ME. After pressing Enter, you should be at the A:\  Now type D:\WIN9X\setup. This is how the screen should look:

A:\D:\WIN9X\setup

Setup will do its thing, and after setup is complete Windows ME should be installed. Hope that this helps, and also have any questions reply back.

Edited by DHooper, 29 January 2005 - 12:09 AM.