Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

urgent. completely lost, cant make my monitor come on when i boot comp

• Please log in to reply

shroomly

shroomly

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
ive just installd a new memory card into my PC. whne i reconnected it with the power cables and all, i turned it on, but my monitor wont turn on...when i press its power button it shows a green light for about one second and then drops back to off...if i disconnected it form the PC, the monitor comes on and says its not recieving signal from the PC....what do i do???

im really lost, i have this massive project to turn in next week and dont know how to get this monitor to respond and come on when i turn my PC on...

any help will be greatly appreciated..

peace.

shroomly.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what do you mean you installed a new memory card in your pc? do you mean RAM?

if so have you tried taking the new stick out and trying to boot the machine?

could you give us the full system specs of the machine?
and the new ram

shroomly

shroomly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
my sistem has windows xp, sp1, 1.69gghz, 128ram. built in graphics card... i put in 1Gig and screens not turning on when i swithch computer on... i've tried putting just the old one back in, same thing... i've switched monitors, same thing, so the monitor is not th eproblem....
i have this square symbold with the digit 1 inside it on the keyboard, and its green light is flashing when i start the PC. there is no Beep or anything... this happend before when ive unplugged my monitor from power, and plugged back in...its almost like the PC is waiting for me to click some button so it can recognize the monitor, but when i unplug the monitor from the PC, it imdiately powers on and gives me a colourful sign that says it lost signal with the PC. i dont think this has anything to do with the memory card. it's fully compatible. i know that... i think it's got more to do with me pulling the plug on the pc and messin it up like that somehow..is there any way to properly reset my computer?? like taking out that little round battery inside it???

thanx for help.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

What is the make and model of your motherboard??

Murray

shroomly

shroomly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
id tell you, but i cant see anything on my computer!! it doesnt just say it if i look inside does it? what does the motherboard look like, sorry im not that into hardware....is that just the main bit of my pc???

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
The motherboard is what everything attaches to inside the case..

You stated earlier that you know for fact the new memory is compatible.. How did you come to that conclusion IF you have no idea what your motherboard is and it's possible limitations as far as RAM is concerned??

Murray

shroomly

shroomly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
mate i know what it is, just not by heart, it's not that important for me u see.... when i needed to know what it was i opened a software that gives me full info....all that is on my computer, which requires the monitor...

i've checked everything and i know 1000000% sure that this card works fine with it...the memory is not the porblem, as this thing with the monitor happend before already ages ago when i unplugged it... i dont remmber how i revived it...my monitor is directly dependent to the PC...if the PC is not on, my monitor cant turn on.... so when i unpluged it i think i messed something up and it needs to be reset somhow...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you give us the specs that you do know about your computer...so we can do a little research?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
There is no way to "reset" a monitor.. Check the connecctor for a bent pin .. It will either work or not..
Do you have another monitor available to try??
Make/model of your system??

Also, what are the specs of your old ram and the new ram??

Murray

shroomly

shroomly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

could you give us the specs that you do know about your computer...so we can do a little research?

ummm... the ones i gave you above is almost all i know about it... its a Compaq presario 6000, the monitor came with it... that's about all i can give you guys, sorry, im not that good/knowledable with this stuff?? is there anythign els eu need to know??

running on windows xp....

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can i have the specs of your new ram...make model...size...bus speed...pin configuration

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
This is what I could find as far as memory for your system is concerned..

Configurable Memory Modules 128, 256, 512 (2x256), 1.0 (2x512) GB
Max Capability: 1 GB

What that means is, in order to get 1GB of Ram, you can only install 2 - 512megs ram chips.. It doesn't handle a 1GB ram..

Murray

shroomly

shroomly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

This is what I could find as far as memory for your system is concerned..

Configurable Memory Modules 128, 256, 512 (2x256), 1.0 (2x512) GB
Max Capability: 1 GB

What that means is, in order to get 1GB of Ram, you can only install 2 - 512megs ram chips.. It doesn't handle a 1GB ram..

Murray

so i cant actually run 1gb on one card only 1gb on two cards??? but even so. i put the 128 back in there and it still doesnt work at all... how do i get my screen back.... by the way... when i went on crucial.com and put in my computer details, one of the compatible memory sticks was actually a single 1gig stick...

shroomly

shroomly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
please someone shine a light??? im so screwed if i cant fix this computer, ill fail my course for failing to complete my project which is on the computer.... pleasee

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....if it's that urgent..you can pull the hd out and put it in another computer as a slave drive...and get to the info that way..or you can get an external enclosure for the drive to get the data off