Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Memory Question

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

I am looking to upgrade my eMachine Desktop T2482. I have 2x 256MB PC2100 memory chips in now. I want to buy 2x 1 GB chips for it but, I was wondering what the difference between DDR PC2100, DDR PC2700, and DDR PC 3200 is?

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The difference in those memory sticks is they all run a different speed/mhz.

The pc2100 run at 266 mhz

the pc 2700 run at 333 mhz

the 3200 run at 400 mhz

If you leave in your old pc 2100 memory sticks and you buy anything faster, all of the memory modules will run at the slowest memory speed.

Edited by jrm20, 29 November 2005 - 12:52 PM.

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
there is also a difference in size and pin configuration and what not....

go to www.crucial.com and put in the info about your pc...it will tell you waht is compatible...i'm gonna doubt that you're gonna be able to get 2 1 gig sticks to work in your machine..but...check it out

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I didnt bring up how many pins because pc2100, 2700 and 3200 are all 184 pin.

Yeah, on some motherboards you are limited on the capacity of how much ram you can put in the board.

I found out you can only put a maximum of 2Gb of memory in your motherboard.

I would try just a 1gb stick. If you took out your old 256 sticks of ram you could get two 1gb sticks.

All they sell and suggest is pc2100 so I would stay with that if I were you.

Up to you.

Edited by jrm20, 29 November 2005 - 03:09 PM.