Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer.

• Please log in to reply

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Hey Geeks,

I just purchases all the parts for a new computer from WWW. newegg.com and I was going to put it together tomorrow. Is there any little tips/ secrets I should know. But brother in law i helping me and he knows queite abit he bilt his computer and it rocks. But i was wondering should i wait a day or two tell i put games onto it or what. should i leave it running the first 2 or 3 days its up and running. you know just the simple stuff that we might not know that will help it have a better life in the future.

Thanks Markus J.

Attached Thumbnails

• 11_144_154_01.jpg

Edited by HamburgrHelpr08, 29 November 2005 - 12:30 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Make shure to watch out for esd. Electro static discharge. Whoever is working in the case and touching all of the components should always keep his body grounded to the case at all times. If you dont have anti static wrist bands just make shure some part of your arm always stays touching the case on the real metal part.

You dont need to wait a day or two to install games.

Right when I build a pc I start loading a few of my best games after I loaded all of the motherboard cd drivers.

You dont really have to worry about the burn in. For the first day or two I would not leave my pc running 24/7. Its totally up to you. Burn in is really just tests of seeing how reliable the pc is.

Edited by jrm20, 29 November 2005 - 01:07 PM.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
ok thanks i know all about that est accept the writ band thing. do u ever turn ur comp off?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Its basically up to the user. When I get home from tech school I turn it right on then when I goto bed I turn it off.

Alot of people leave pc's on 24/7 and its up to the user.

The first day or two shut it down after your done for the day.

You just might want to keep an eye on it the first day. In case anything decides to go bad like the mobo ect.. Dont worry to much about it though.

Edited by jrm20, 29 November 2005 - 07:50 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
here's what I do with all new builds,

I lay the mobo on a box install the cpu and HSF with Artic silver5, install the ram, install the psu,video card monitor and mouse. Then start the computer by touching the power connections on the mobo with a screw driver and enter bios.
I let the computer idle for 15 minutes or so and monitor the temps and voltages if all look good I then power down and install the floppyand run memtest86 for 3 passes if it passes memtest then I put it into the case and install the drives.
I then again boot into bios and check the temps and voltages if all good I install the OS, load all the drivers from the mobo cd and get on the internet and get a virus scan, then all the MS updates. Then I load sp2 from cd.
I then run prime95 for 18 to 24 hours to make sure the computer is absolutely stable and for a burn in but as jrm20 said this is more to make sure its reliable.

By doing the build outside the case I can make sure the main components are good before installing in the case and by following the other steps I make sure I have a 100% stable computer witch I demand weather its for me or someone else.

Rick

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
oK thanks u guys rock i just put the moboa nd cpu and ram into it. great help what virus software hould i use?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Avg is good and its free here

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
ok thanks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I like avast better over AVG its actually alot like the paid for anti viruses except it has a better track record.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Thanks warriorscot I was not aware of that, I have been using avg for years though without a problem but some I know are using it and got some trojons that got by but who knows what they were doing

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
ok thanks

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
ok thank i got it to work