Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Keeping Case Temp Down

• Please log in to reply

hemanjoyman

hemanjoyman

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I am having trouble keeping my case temperature down, and in turn it is raising the temperature of my cpu. I know the sockete LGA775 run hot as it is.

I had two 80mm fans in the front of the case, blowing air in and the I had an 80mm exhaust fan as well. My PSU has two fans, one sucking air in on the underside of the PSU and one blowing out as exaust. I also had a side case fan, I also have a manually speed controlled fan on the cpu, and my case temps were at about 34C to 36C, and CPU at around 40-43C (no load) my hard drive temp fluctuates between 30 and 37C also.

I removed both fans blowing air in at the front of the case, and the side fan, leaving only the PSU fans, because those obviously can't be removed, and the exhaust 80mm fan, and CPU fan. My temps read basically the same, no real change. If I turn up the manually controlled fan I can get the temp on the CPU to drop to about 38C (no load), but it is way too loud, sounds like an airplane, but case temps stay the same.

In my older comp which has the socket 478 the case temps are around 25C and CPU temp at about 32C, and it only has a cpu fan and one 80mm exhaust fan, oh and also the PSU exhaust fan. I just don't get it.

Do I need to add a bigger exhaust fan like 120mm and a 120mm blower fan in the front?

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
those temps don't seem too far out of range (they actually seem to be within range)....have you over clocked the cpu? that has a habit of raising the temps....have you looked into liquid coolilng? it's not cheap...but it's thoroughly effective.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Give it a clean but those temps seem under the range for a 775 system most people can expect upper 40s just in idle alot of the time, i idle at 35 with the fans full whack and i have a very very cool system for air, im sitting at 40C right now with cool and quiet on.

So clean it but your temps arent bad older systems cant be trusted when it comes to temps and often a bios upgrade was needed to get an accurate temperature reading.

If it aint broke leave it well alone.

hemanjoyman

hemanjoyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
No, it's not overclocked......I don't know if I really trust liquid in my electronics. I'd really rather not go that route, plus, it's expensive.

Edited by hemanjoyman, 29 November 2005 - 01:55 PM.

hemanjoyman

hemanjoyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
It's nice and clean, I just cleaned out all the dust from fans and inside case a week ago. So, you think case temps are fine too, not too high? I figured the CPU temp was ok since a lot of complaints about the 775 socket running quite hot.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
generally...if your case temps are lower than your cpu temps...then you're fine...it's when your case is hotter than the cpu...that's when you start having failures..

hemanjoyman

hemanjoyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
all right, well thanks for the help guys.

w1f1

w1f1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hey, if i was you i would remove the 80 blowing out and make the other 2 blow out.... much more effective that way airflow is key airtight cases help somewhat but probaby not enough to notice for you..... thoroughput is what you are goin for. when you have fans like that in sequence, it will acually slow the exaust rate quite a bit.
also, is it in a encosed space, or desk of some sort? that can cause problems.

chill

hemanjoyman

hemanjoyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Well, it is not enclosed, it is in open air, well except for the bottom of it of course, that is obvious.

But what do you mean by the fans? You mean remove the rear exaust fan and make the two in the front blow out of the case instead of in? Or do you mean the side case fan?

I'm a little confused.

w1f1

w1f1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
so you dont have the side(s) on the case? 2 fans blowing out, with plenty of holes to suck in from

Edited by w1f1, 29 November 2005 - 02:47 PM.

hemanjoyman

hemanjoyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
The sides are on, I just meant it is not in a cabinet or something where it can't get good ventilation. Still confused on your suggestion.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im confused as well your airflow sounds like it is fine to me and your temps are good, when overclocked those chips even for cool systems run into the 50s so at 40 you have good airflow and a cool pc, if it aint crashin it is fine and even if it was thos temps are far from a problem.

hemanjoyman

hemanjoyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok, thanks, i'm satisfied now. No crashing, running fine for quite a while now, actually running fine ever since I put the PC together. Just wanted to see if there was any way to keep it cooler and those temps lower.

Thanks guys

Edited by hemanjoyman, 29 November 2005 - 03:37 PM.