Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winzip Prob. Help! alot of files

• Please log in to reply

mikevxpx

mikevxpx

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok. Is there a way to zip all the files in one folder at the same time.... into a zip file corresponding with each file name? (ex.) C:/folder1/ has two different text files: writing1.txt and writing2.txt is there a way to, like, click and drag, or cut and paste and zip them at the same time and make the C:/folder1 contain (writing1.txt, writing2.txt, writing1.zip, and writing2.zip)
I have a lot of files in one folder but I want them all zipped to there own .zip file. But if I do it one at a time my brain will explode......Help!
Oh, and I’d like to use WinZip. Thanks

Advertisements

mikevxpx

mikevxpx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Any Help? Please.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

I whipped up a small bat file for you to use along with the great open-source compression program 7-zip. First, go download and install 7-Zip to the default directory, you can download it from http://www.7-zip.org/.

Next, download the bat file (http://www.sector512...s/batch_zip.bat) and copy it INTO the directory where you want to zip all the files individually. Then, just double-click the "batch_zip.bat" and it will automatically zip each file in the directory into it's own *.zip file. (It will also do this to itself, you can just delete the batch_zip.bat.zip that is formed).

Hope that helps and it should solve your problem!

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Here is the contents of batch_zip.bat
@echo off

set directory=%cd%
set zip_command="c:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" a -tzip

FOR %%c in (%directory%\*.*) DO %zip_command% %%c.zip %%c

:END

Ok. Is there a way to zip all the files in one folder at the same time.... into a zip file corresponding with each file name? (ex.) C:/folder1/ has two different text files: writing1.txt and writing2.txt is there a way to, like, click and drag, or cut and paste and zip them at the same time and make the C:/folder1 contain (writing1.txt, writing2.txt, writing1.zip, and writing2.zip)
I have a lot of files in one folder but I want them all zipped to there own .zip file. But if I do it one at a time my brain will explode......Help!
Oh, and I’d like to use WinZip. Thanks

mikevxpx

mikevxpx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks man, worked like a charm!

thakns again.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
No worries and glad it helped out, I have always had a fondness for batch file programming.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks man, worked like a charm!

thakns again.