Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP/2000

• Please log in to reply

sanhi2u

sanhi2u

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,
I hope someone can help me out. So I have this small network with a total of 4 computers: 2 Windows 2000 Professional, 1 Windows XP Home, 1 Windows XP Professional. I struggle for a while to get them all to see each other on the same workgroup, but finally working it out....I think. I keep having connection problems with the XP Home pc. Every couple of days it will not let you access the mapped drives to the other computers and the other computers can't see it, but the 2000 and XP Professional computers can always see each other. I usually have to re-map everything. Is there something I am missing here? Did I not connect them together properly in the first place?
The only way I could get them to see each other was to enable the guest account and create a mapped drive to each computer with the guest user id and password. All of the computers log in with the same user id and password (not the guest) but I can't connect to either of the XP computers with that id/pw. So I guess my first problem might be the mapped drive connection. Then there is the lost of connection to the XP Home computer. Any help would be great.

Edited by sanhi2u, 29 November 2005 - 03:48 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Why are you mapping drives?

Just go to My Network Places and there you go. Every shared folder on every connected computer.

You have to be careful with mapping drives in this fashion because they may try to find computers that haven't loaded fully yet so time out and hence no mapping.

sanhi2u

sanhi2u

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I mapped the drives because I can only access the 2000 computers from "My Network Places". It goes like this...totally messed....I can see and connect the 2000 computers to each other, but the 2000 computers can't connect to either XP computers. From the XP Professional computer I can access both 2000 computers but not the XP Home computer. From the XP Home computer I can access the 2000 computers, but not the XP Professional computer. How's that for messed up?
I have the Firewalls turned off on both XP computers and I never installed a Firewall on the 2000 computers. The only Firewall I have is from my Linksys router, but I'm pretty sure that is only working with requests in/out from the internet. (might be wrong on that one) My main reason to map the drives was to have the connections re-established whenever the systems were rebooted. This worked with the "map network drive connected as guest user id and password" for a couple of days, but then the XP Home computer would drop the workgroup connection and all mapped drives fail. Now the rest of the computers in the workgroup work and connect to each other fine. It's like this XP Home computer is the root of all my problems.