Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Morton Internet Security 2005 Spyware Edition

• Please log in to reply

tonyox

tonyox

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am running NIS 2005 Anti SPyware. The program installs with no errors. WHen I click on the Anti Spam tab to turn on the Anti Spam features, all of them show as "refreshing", and never change. If I click on any of them and click either configure or turn on, I get an error message "Unspecified error, : res//C\Program Files\Common FIles\Symantec Shared\AntiSpam\NASPlug.dll/nasstutus.htm : 1157" I have spent hours on line with Symantec Tech Support. I have unistalled NIS several times (using COntrol Panel and Symnrt). I even did a comple reformat and reinstallation of Windows with the same results. I had it on this computer before and it worked fine. My original C drive went south and Dell sent me a new 250GB. It is this one that I an having the problem with. Has anyone experienced this? ANy hel would be appreciated. I am using Outlook Express and am getting hammered with Spam.

Advertisements

dfahring

dfahring

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having the EXACT same problem with Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition. All of the AntiSpam features say "refreshing" and I can't get rid of them or make the AntiSpam function work. I get the same error message when I click "configure" or "turn on" any of the AntiSpam features. I also use Outlook Express and everything was working on NIS until a few days ago. All the other features of NIS are working fine except for AntiSpam. Maybe a recent Windows or Norton update caused some sort of problem. I sent an email to Symantec support, but no reply yet. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

chrisva86

chrisva86

• Pip
  • 2 posts
same problem... all other windows are fine, just the anti-spam one. Really annoying because there's no way to activate the adblocker either. Reinstalled the program 5 or so times, twice in clean boot, reinstalled windows script, ran the scannow and the disk check, checked for spyware/viruses... http://service1.syma..._sch_nam&seg=hm
this might help, didn't for me though.

dfahring

dfahring

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, but I already tried everything in that Symantec support link yesterday. It didn't help me either. This annoying little problem seems to be something new because I can't find any info on the topic. I will keep looking, and if I ever hear back from Symantec, I will let you know.

rap51

rap51

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am having this same problem too!!!! I too have been with Symantec tech support, have reinstalled and uninstalled Norton Internet Security 5 or 6 times. This is on a new install of Windows XP Home on a newly reformatted hard drive. Internet Security refreshes, AntiVirus refreshes, AntiSpam does not refresh at all - and I get the same error messages as everyone else!

chrisva86

chrisva86

• Pip
  • 2 posts
any news? Still haven't heard back from symantec.

tonyox

tonyox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I wound up buying NIS 2006 - No one could get 2005 to work. Symantec sold it to me for $29.

rap51

rap51

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am waiting to hear back from Symantec - they have "elevated" my issue, and it's been over a week and I've heard nothing. They are supposed to get back to me via email. I don't want to pay $29 (if I can't get NIS 2005 to work properly). I would also really like to know why just AntiSpam has this problem with refreshing....

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
try reinstalling using the method here: http://www.geekstogo...are-t43188.html

rap51

rap51

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Been there, done that. I have uninstalled NIS 2005 and re-installed it over 5 times, using the Symantec removal tool, windows installer cleanup, manual registry deletions, etc. and other methods as well as directed by Symantec tech support. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Simple answer to your problems, dont use norton it is one fo the worst anti virus and spyware software makers on the market, even the free ones are alot better, for spyware adaware is much much better. And AV just about everything is better than norton including all the free ones.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
^seconded.

I just switched from NIS 2005 to Nod32 yesterday.

If you really want to pay for an antivirus so that you feel that you get the most out of it, Nod32 is the way to go.

dfahring

dfahring

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have not heard any news from Symantec either, but they did send via email a customer satisfaction survery for how well my issue was handled. I had a great time filling that out since they never replied to me... quite funny actually! I got NIS 2005 "free" with my Dell computer, so I can't exactly return it and upgrade. Sorry for anyone who paid for it. The Antivirus part works fine though, and I probably wouldn't use Antispam anyway. Repeating what rap51 said, I just want to know why only Antispam has this problem with refreshing. I will not pay for anything Norton, but I don't think McAfee is any better. Agreeing with warriorscot, the freeware for AV is probably the way to go these days anyway. I also use Ad-Aware for spyware which is great, and I like Spybot Search & Destroy alot too, though Spyware Doctor is supposed to be good and so is A-squared from what I heard.

rap51

rap51

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have heard that Avast is a good (and free) antivirus program. Does anyone know about it?

http://www.avast.com..._protectio.html

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
yes, it's among the highly recommended free antivirus programs out there. Take a look at the link in my profile for others.