Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can i Retrieve programs from other Hard Drives?

• Please log in to reply

kevinski

kevinski

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hey, i have two hard drives and i have just had to install windows xp on my other hard drive because the other hard drive wasn't starting windows up.

the reason i did it was so i could keep my existing important files (too many to copy onto a cd).

now, some programs that were installed and registered on my other hard drive still work, but a lot of them don't (like photoshop 7.0, and autocad 2004)

can i fix this without having to reinstall the original programs?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
How did you do that? If you used drive to drive copy the second drive will be a clone of your old drive. If you got a new drive the software for D-to-D should be on the cd. If not, you can download it from the new drive mfrs. website.

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i have windows installed on both hard drives

but there are programs installed with my old windows xp (the one i don't use because it's broken) and i want to access them without having to re-install them.

can it be done?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
kevinski...

Instead of installing a fresh version of XP on your secondary hard drive, you should of done a REPAIR INSTALLATION of XP on your first hard drive, using the link in my signature as a guide. All of your programs will work after this and you won't lose any files or settings. This only replaces the operating system files (C:\WINDOWS). You will need to redo all Windows Updates after doing this.

Fenor

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
tried that 3 times and every time the problem was not repaired, i also ran several virus scans with different anti-virus programs to confirm that it wasn't a virus that caused the problem.

so i installed xp on my other hard drive. (it may have been a rash decision but i had to complete an essay)

and i knew about having to redo all the updates and i've done this now.

can i get my programs (from the broken version of xp) to work on this installation of xp?

Edited by kevinski, 30 November 2005 - 06:52 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

As per earlier, unless you copied an image of the original configuration from the bad hdd to the new one, your answer is NO.. The programs will have to be re-installed!!

Murray

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
how would i have copied an image of the original configuration onto the new HDD?

when i run program shortcuts now they say they can't find a .dll file.

the thing is, i can find it in their program folders.

can't i somehow make the program use it again?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

How did you do that? If you used drive to drive copy the second drive will be a clone of your old drive. If you got a new drive the software for D-to-D should be on the cd. If not, you can download it from the new drive mfrs. website.

Did you read Post #2?? Or, you could have used Drive Image (not free)..

Why not just re-install the missing programs?? As these are commercial programs, you must have bought them therefore, should have the cd's !!!

Murray