Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Custom Comp

• Please log in to reply

jorben31

jorben31

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello Everybody,
I am building a custom computer, and i am purchasing all parts from www.newegg.com This is my final version of my comp which will be used for gaming/somewhat of a home computer. It is somewhat of a budget build too, and i am a first time computer builder. i have read reviews on all components and have checked compatibilty, but is still have questions on my mobo and i would like if anyone would take a double check of the compatibility of the components.

1.(MoBo) DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
-I have read a review that this mobo is tricky and is not a good buy for beginner builders.
-I also read that this card does not perform well with low quality RAM, is my RAM sufficient?

2. (Case) COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-x1 120mm fan, and x1 80mm fan

3. (H.D.) Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B200R0 200GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive

4. (RAM) CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

5. (PSU) Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, TUV, CB, FCC CLASS B, CUL
-SLi ready

6. (Processor) AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

7. (V.C.) eVGA 256-P2-N386 Geforce 6800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
-I'm buying one now, the going SLi later.

The only thing that i am really concerned with is my motherboard. Thank you to anyone who posts. I will be playing games like BF2, COD2, F.E.A.R., HL2, and RTW.

-Thanx Jorben31

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I have a DFI motherboard and I use the corsair xms xtreme memory also. They run good together. Its actually a really good motherboard brand and its not hard to set up anything. If you know all the steps in building a pc you can do it.

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Your RAM is very good.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would get a SATA hard drive not an IDE(stick to that drive but get the SATA version). And you might want to look into getting the newer version of that case with 2x 120mm fans.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Well good, IMO. DFI is a good brand. Also, I have heard great reviews for the 6800gs. I myself am getting a 7800 GT 256 MB and waiting for SLI.