Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What do I need to do?

• Please log in to reply

soujrnr

soujrnr

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi all. Here is the scenario. 3 Apple G5s connected to a 24-port Linksys SR224 10/100 switch and 3 PCs also connected to same switch. PCs see each other, Macs see each other, PCs and MACs DON'T see each other. I was of the understanding that TCP/IP is a universal convention and shouldn't matter across platforms. However, it would seem that I may need something for the PC or Macs in order for them to see each other through the switch. I know next to nothing about Apple products but didn't they used to use Appletalk or something for networking??? Is there some software I need for the PC in order for it to see the Mac and vice versa???

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I know that they are universal in their ability to both connect through the same router to ther internet, but they are not universal in their ability to file share. There are programs and software that you can purchase to do this and the last i heard of was the Appletalk that you refferred to. I have never done a file share with MAC and MS so if you are able to find some software that works for it, please post back and let me know, for future experimentation.