Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cant update :(

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bigdan

bigdan

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
i cant update windows xp to sp2 because it says my version isnt legal or something along those lines (i got this computer from someone else). now im thinking of what my options are. i happen to ahve a version of win xp professioanl. is that similar to the alternative whatever thats called (home version maybe)? i ask because my computer is a P3-550 and 5 years old. its been running xp OK all this time, will it be able to handle xp pro? please do let me know :tazz:

ps: if i buy xp do i have to reinstall in order to be able to update, or can i just take its serial and insert it somewhere into the windows i already ahve installed?

thanks!
Dan

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would back up the data you need, along with any programmes then format the drive and install XP (Home or Pro) from a genuine product, because dodgy discs can load all sorts of nonsense on to a PC which would haunt it, and if you get a genuine XP CD you may as well have the benefits

bigdan

bigdan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
someone suggested bypassing the validation by going to internet exploror - toold - internet options - under the programs tab goto manage addons and disable the genuine windows validation. unfortuantely my copy of ie doesnt have the manage addons button (maybe its an older version or smth?). what can i do in this case? would manage addons be in a diff section perhaps? remember i cant download a more recent copy because i dont have an internet connection until this sp2 problem is solved.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Dan,

We cannot help you with a pirated version of Windows XP.

Site policy.

also, you cannot by pass validate as someone suggested, since windowsupdate requires a validated OS to load sp2.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
If your system runs XP Home, it will run XP Pro. Follow the repair instructions here.

If you purchase a legitmate version of Home, you can probably update it by using the activation wizard, and entering the new CD key.

RavenTwyst

RavenTwyst

• Pip
  • 5 posts

i cant update windows xp to sp2 because it says my version isnt legal or something along those lines (i got this computer from someone else). now im thinking of what my options are. i happen to ahve a version of win xp professioanl. is that similar to the alternative whatever thats called (home version maybe)? i ask because my computer is a P3-550 and 5 years old. its been running xp OK all this time, will it be able to handle xp pro? please do let me know :tazz:

ps: if i buy xp do i have to reinstall in order to be able to update, or can i just take its serial and insert it somewhere into the windows i already ahve installed?

thanks!
Dan

Huh. My thread got locked because of this yet this on continues. Nice.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
RavenTwist, I suggest you don't worry about others' problems, and worry about your own.

This one is only "continuing" because Staff members were telling the member how to go about buying and installing a LEGAL copy of Xp on their computer.

Now that they have, this thread is being closed, as well.