Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Create an updated Win98 Install CD from files on HD

• Please log in to reply

mbient

mbient

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am a happy camper, finally got Win98 reinstalled on an older ThinkPad with the files stored on the HD by IBM (no MS Win98 install CD provided). An MVP provided me with a CD of the MS updates through 2004, so was able to get the machine running well enough to get to the MS Update site to get the remaining updates. I would be a happier camper if I could find a way to shorten that process.

The system's HD is getting a little stiff (doesn't want to boot Win if its been turned off too long), so if it goes, I lose the Win98 files, and to replace the HD, I'm going to have to have that installation CD.

Now that I have a viable system, I am wondering if there is any way to use the current system to create a Win98 Install CD that would incorporate all of the updates? I don't believe just creating a backup will do the job. If it would, I would appreciate knowing that and how to do it.

Also, the same applies to Office 2000, but to a lessor extent. Reinstalled it (had the MS Install CD) and then went to the MS Office Update site and applied about a dozen updates. Any way to create an current Office Install CD that would incorporate those updates? Again, if there is a back-up program that would do that, super, tell me about it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by mbient, 29 November 2005 - 07:23 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Windows 98 files will be on the hard drive, just burn them all to a CD. Typically they live in C:\Windows\Options\Cabs.

You should be able to run the 2004 Security CD manually again after reinstalling Windows and then go to Windows Update for anything released later.

Office 2000 updates you can download manually and thus burn to CD if you click on the "More Details" link or "Further Information" or similiar and click about a bit as opposed to using the Web Based interface.

Kamal2539

Kamal2539

• Pip
  • 6 posts
For my old laptop, I bought a legal 'no longer required' copy of WinME off eBay for cheap. WAY better than Win98 or Second Edition. Just an idea.

Al