Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot reinstall Norton Internet Security 2004 due to config.msi

• Please log in to reply

MsHelpless

MsHelpless

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello, please forgive me, but this post will be long! I will try to write in short sentences.

Your wonderful volunteers helped me completely rid my computer of Trojan.Vundo and NetDotNet. My computer is clean. I then proceeded to install recommended protection programs.
Installed:

Spywareblaster, Spywareguard, IE/Spyad, MVPS Hosts file, Task Catcher, CodeStuff Starter, and RegSeeker.

Everything was running fine. I then used RegSeeker until my computer was clean. Soon after that, I received a message that Norton Anti Virus was not enabled. I could not enable it. Tried solutions from Norton web site, everything failed. Was recommended to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2004, and reinstall.

Unable to reinstall Norton Internet Security, tried everything. Set up always fails at: C:\Config.msi
Tried installing Internet Security without Anti Virus. Set up then failed at: NIS_ADBlock
Used Windows Install Clean Up to possibly fix corrupted file. It did nothing. Reinstalled all back up files from RegSeeker - didn't help. Used System Restore, went to time immediately after Trojan.Vundo was removed. Didn't help. Used !Killbox to remove C:\Config.msi. Didn't help.

Gave up, installed Avast Anti Virus and Zone Alarm Firewall to protect my computer until I can resolve the Norton problem.

Need to reinstall Norton Internet Security 2004. I paid for it, and just paid one month ago for another year of receiving regular updates of virus definitions.

Also, I just started getting pop ups all over the Internet, even with all these programs running. I also have the Google toolbar. I just ran TrendMicro scan yesterday, and it said everything was clean!

Thank you for your patience. I would be so grateful for your help.

Tracy :tazz:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
try using the removal tool and see if that helps. see documentation here: removal tool