Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Player nor Real Player freezes computer

• Please log in to reply

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I am working on a 500 MHz, 128 MB RAM, 10 gig HD, on board sound and video AMD system with Win 98 SE. Just reformatted the hard drive, installed Windows 98 and then Win 98 SE. Updated at Windows site, installed AVG Anti Virus, updated that too.

Now, whenever I put a music CD in the drive, it freezes up. I restart and open Windows Media Player 7.1, had 9.0 thought that was the trouble so I uninstalled it and got 7.1, and it locks the computer up.

Same thing with Real Player. Whenever I open it, it will show the screen and then freeze. Ctrl, Alt delete does not work. Have to hit the reset button to restart it.

I have loaded up Tweak Now Reg Cleaner, CCleaner amd Spybot with no major bugs found. Some cookies, that's about it.

Just at the end of my rope. Have no idea why everything works fine, except the media players and CD ROM.

Could it be the CD-ROM is bad? I have another one in the closet, could it really be that simple?

Thanks for any help in advance. :tazz:

Advertisements

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I was on another computer when I posted earlier. Here's my hijack this log. hope it helps
The heading shold read neither media players will work on Win 98 SE..sorry bout that.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:39:57 PM, on 11/29/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGEMC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\MY DOCUMENTS\DOWNLOADS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O16 - DPF: {200B3EE9-7242-4EFD-B1E4-D97EE825BA53} (VerifyGMN Class) - http://h20270.www2.h...staller_gmn.cab

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I did a scanreg.exe /fis at the dos prompt. Ran a system checker in windows, it called for the startup disk, but still freezes.

Ran a scandisk with surface test and found several bad clusters on the hard drive. It does make noise.

So...I'm just gonna get another computer on ebay and use this one for parts. Or maybe replace the motherboard and hard drive then let the kids play on it. :tazz:

Thank everyone for trying to lend a hand on this.

Happy Holidays to all

This issue is closed. :)