Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Leave On Turn Off?

• Please log in to reply

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Ok so im putting my new computer together and i want to keep it in the best comdition! so should i leave it on all the time or should i turn it off when i go to bed? and back on at like 2:30.

Attached Thumbnails

• aassault.jpg

Advertisements

Jag11

Jag11

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
I don't know what's best, but my opinion is to turn it off. Why - because you'll save electricity. Posted Image

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have 2 puters that are on 24/7. They have been on for a couple of years now. Why do i do this? One, i am messing with the puter thruout the day. I also just wanted to see if there could be problems doing this( there isn't). It has taught me that UPS's are needed to do this as power outages can cause problems. I do have other computers that i turn off and on as needed. Actually i have more problems with the puters i turn off and on. Power supplies have gone bad, video cards have died, and in a couple the OS has crashed bad enough to need reinstalling.

Funny thing about running them 24/7. I noticed that Win 95 and 98 needed rebooting everyday. Win ME was an improvement in that i could go 4 to 5 days without a reboot. Win XP can go a week without rebooting but i usually have a program not responding somewhere when i do reboot. I have a mepis linux puter that has been going for 3 months and it still does not need rebooting. If i was running a server i think i would use linux.

Yes, i will continue to run some of my puters 24/7. I like the idea of being able to turn on the monitor and immediately start working on the puter. Is it practical? I don't care if it is or isn't. Does it cost a lot of electricity? I have estimated by the wattage used compares to the rest of the household electric used that the 2 computers cost me a $1 a day. I spend over twice that for the internet. You just make your decisions and do what you think is best.

One thing is that i am on my puters most of the time when i am not working. I abhore watching TV as i see not much that is entertaining there. So i spend anywhere from 6 to 12 hours a day on them. The average person may spend 2 to 3 hours a day on a computer( if that much). I really could not justify leaving them on 24/7 if i used them that way. Just my $.02 worth.

SRX660

Enigma-Penguin

Enigma-Penguin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Leaving your computer on 24/7 whilst running something major can slow bootup times when you do turn it off. Obviously it depends on how much you use your computer throughout the day...personally I only turn it on when I need to.

Mikey127

Mikey127

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
i would say leave pc on 24/7 if it doesnt overheat. :tazz: dont leave your moniter on all day long, my cousin leaves moniter on when the pc is shut down when shes not using it ect. its a waste of electricity and can ruin the screen supposedly

Jag11

Jag11

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

i would say leave pc on 24/7 if it doesnt overheat.

Good point. And I think turning off and on the computer wouldn't hurt. Posted Image

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts

Good point. And I think turning off and on the computer wouldn't hurt. Posted Image

Actually, the computer is under the most stress when it is first booting up and leaving the computer running can actually increase its lifespan, not decrease it. It's sort of like a light bulb. Light bulbs rarely go out while they're randomly on, right? They always go out when you first turn them on.

Regards,
Matt :tazz:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
You need to turn a computer off to flush the ram.
A reboot will not completely flush ram.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
me personally i would turn your computer off. Where i live, electricity is the cheapest in North America :) but even here it cost on average about 14.00 a month leaving it running none stop. times that by 12 months and you have saved about 168$ a year that in my words i would put towards something new to creat the ultamite desktop. However it would all depend on the wattage of you PSU. Another would be what the admin just posted. But the main reason is because leaving it on 24/7 would also risk leaving it on longer for unwanted visiters to enter your computer, unless you shut down your interent :tazz: .
If you want a more efficient computer i wouldn't run it 24/7 in my words. Even though as previously posted, its harder on your computer when you turn it on and off, if your only turning it one about once a day it really won't make that big of a deal.

TheBrotherhood313

TheBrotherhood313

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Well i dont know if anyone here that keeps theirs on all day notices some lagging every now and then, maybe some programs that open slowly. Maybe its only with low ram computers, but it does happen. This computer has 128MB ram and if i dont turn it off for about 4-5 days it will do this every time i run an application. As someone said, shutting down flushes the ram and that helps a lot.

guttermouth punk

guttermouth punk

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Bleh, I turned my computer off last night and tried to turn it on this morning and the monitor wouldn't come on.

After I figure out whats wrong, I'll never turn it off again but like once a week to reset the RAM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
things age, i highly doubt your monitor stoped working due to you turn off your computer and turning it back on.