Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbie needs help with Pinnacle 9 file storage

• Please log in to reply

odessapermian.com

odessapermian.com

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have Pinnacle 9 on my computer for video capturing/editing. I have come to a point where I would like to store the raw captured video (AVI) as well as the rendered, edited clips (WMV files) so I can delete them from my computer. What is the correct way to do this? The problem I am having trouble resolving is how to be able to "recapture" the files later if I need to. As far as I can tell the only ways to capture video are either from the camcorder, or via the AV/DV card that came with the software. I thought I could just get a DVD recorder (our computer only has CD drive) and burn them onto a DVD. Then I could replay/recapture them via the AV/DV card. But the problem with that is is it only captures video, not audio. Can I only store on CD and recapture the footage from the CD if it is an AVI file? I'm sure this is simpler than I'm making it.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Advertisements

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
you can store the avi file on cd, you can get it to about 650MB (about 3min of video), a dvd would be better, that way you could store up to 4.7GB of video, because you don’t have to burn the dvd as a video disc, you can burn it as a data disc.

Have you heard of print to tape? Print to tape allows you to copy the video back to DV tape if you want to take that option.

You could also buy an external hard drive.

Hope this help,

Edited by st22, 29 November 2005 - 11:35 PM.

odessapermian.com

odessapermian.com

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, new scenario. I saw a different version of Pinnacle at the store and wound up buying it. It is the Dazzle Video creator 85, and comes with the little magic box to input video and audio into the computer. It appears to be a scaled down version of the Pinnacle9 Studio that I already had, but I think it has more than enough for what I need to do. So now I'm back to wondering about getting a home theater type DVD recorder w/ firewire input, and simply archiving my DV tapes directly to that. I'm thinking going directly to a desktop recorder, rather than going through the Pinnacle "Burn DVD" section to the computer's DVD burner and everything else it goes through in between, might result in less degredation? I'm new to this and have no idea if my thinking is correct on that or not.

It might help if I explain what I'm doing. I film footage at sporting events for our local high school, and take selected clips from them to post on a website. Once I'm through with them I have to turn the tapes over to the coaches, usually within a day or two after filming. I'm not looking to do anything fancy, and I seldom need to access the footage once I've put a few clips together but I would like to have it archived just in case. I thought if I got a desktop recorder with the firewire input I would first burn my footage onto a DVD, then do my thing on Pinnacle. Once I had the clips I want I would delete the AVI files from Pinnacle. What do you think?

Edited by odessapermian.com, 01 December 2005 - 09:08 PM.

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hey,

Sounds like a good idea, I do something similar, this is how I work if you want to read it and get back to me, because I’m still a bit sketchy on your post:

1. Record footage with DV camera to DV tape.
2. Using adobe premiere (or any video edit software) Import footage from DV tape to computer using Firewire connection which is connected from DV camera to firewire port on computer.
3. Edit footage, Save final movie.
4. Print (copy) final movie to new DV tape via firewire. This keeps it at its full DV quality.
5. Save final movie as an uncompressed DV Avi. This keeps it as its full DV quality.
6. Copy final movie avi to Data DVD (twice for extra backup)- This keeps it at full DV quality.
7. Convert final movie avi to MPEG2 using DVD Movie Factory. This makes it 26 times less quality and adds it to a video DVD that works on the TV’s DVD player.
8. Copy all the captured unedited AVI files to data DVD (twice for extra backup), (any files over 2GB I have to split up using a file splitter).
9. And if I wanted to I would make an exact copy of the original tape by doing a tape to tape dub, which involves connecting 2 DV cameras together via firewire, set the one with the new tape to record, and the one with the tape u want to copy to play, and that would copy it.
10. Then its safe to delete it off the computer becuase I have heaps of backup copies.

Sorry for the delay, hope this clears something up. :tazz:

Edited by st22, 04 December 2005 - 06:43 AM.

Vidiot

Vidiot

• Pip
  • 1 posts
New user here. Is it possible to take a Studio 9 project file and recapture the footage from DV tapes. The project was originally created on one computer but would be re-compiled on another.

If so, how is this done. The manual is sketchy on this.

Thanks.