Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor frequency WinXP fix

• Please log in to reply

petes cadaver

petes cadaver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
can anyone tell me how to get into my monitor settings for windows xp so i can decrease the frequency of my monitor?

thanks.

Advertisements

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Right click on your background, choose Properties... when that comes up, click the Settings tab... there will be an Advanced bottom in the lower right corner... click that... then, you'll see several tabs, one will say Monitor. Some video cards have their own tab on that last screen, too, and can give you a few more options.

Remember, setting the refresh rate too high can damage a monitor... too low, and all your whites will flicker

petes cadaver

petes cadaver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
my freq. is set to the lowest setting but the lines havent gone away.. they are still scrolling up my monitor screen. is there no way to get rid of them? or is my monitor just not good enough? i bought it like a year ago if that.

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
to get rid of the flickering I mentioned, you have to set the fequency higher... 60hz will cause the flickering... you need at least 72hz... but, you might not be able to get that with your monitor at the screen resolution you're using (the higher the resolution, the lower the highest scan rate can be)... but, if windows gives you the option to set to 72 or 75hz, do it.

Now, if you have real lines scrolling slowly up your screen (or a general line pattern that stays on your screen), it's probably not your monitor or your screen rate... it's most likely electrical interference coming from a nearby tv or other electrical device (cordless phones can cause that, too, even power supplies for printers and stuff like that). So, make sure everything is not just turned off, but unplugged if you have anything close that you suspect could be causing the interference.

petes cadaver

petes cadaver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Cool, thanks.