This is easily resolved, assuming you know your windows account has admnistrator privilges. If not, give these instructions to someone who knows the local admin password or whose account has admin priviliges:
1. After logon, open Control Panel ¬ add or Remove Programs. Wait a little while for the list to populate and select either, IBM Fingerprint Reader, IBM ThinkVantage Fingerprint Reader or ThinkVantage Fingerprint reader, depending on your version. Highlight and click 'Change'
2. Select 'Remove' and follow the uninstall wizard
3. Once the wizard has completed, restart your Thinkpad and login using the normal windows logon screen using the username and password of an account with administrator priviliges.
4. Open your web browser and go to the following page http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...cid=TVAN-EAPFPR
5. Download the software package appropriate for your XP or Vista operating system. Refer to the installation instructions also on that web page if you need them However, the installation wizard is intuitive and doesn't require any techie knowledge.
6. Double-click the downloaded file to install it accepting all the default paths.
7. Restart your system and logon using the Windows logon screen
8. Start ¬ All Programs ¬ ThinkVantage ¬ ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software ¬ Fingerprnts ¬ Enroll your Fingerprints
9. Follow the onscreen instructions to enroll and save your fingerprints.
10.Log off and logon again to test your newly installed software. Job done.