Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WXP boot hangs forever - safe mode ok...... HELP

• Please log in to reply

Alice the Brit

Alice the Brit

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am so cheesed off it's not funny !!!!

This is the SECOND computer in my house to do this (note MY laptop that NO-ONE else touches is fine!) first the desktop did it (4 kids and hubby use) in July - my son happened to be doing something with iTunes and his iPod when it froze the first time - never to reboot in normal mode again!

I ended up burning all needed files to disks and starting from scratch with the system restore disk that came with the computer.

NOW, this morning, my hubby's laptop is doing the same thing - it had a black screen when he went to use it, so he rebooted it - and that is where it ends - the Windows XP graphic and scrolling bar below.. never gets past that... just as the desktop did before.

Pushed power button until it shut down, rebooted in safe mode, did a system restore (I tried all this on the desktop too to no avail) which appears to work, then it reboots for you - back to the hanging state. If you then reboot in safe mode again, first thing it tells you is that it restore your system to the date you picked.

Last time it happened on my desktop, Bestbuy said it was a software/system issue, mising dll file or something and that if I brought it in (have full 3 yr service thing) it would cost me $80 for them to restore it (basically to do what I did, save all info off first, clean sweep it and put back everything.

But I don't WANT to have to do that again, it is time consuming and a PITA !!

Is there anyway (in safe mode) to check to see what IS missing and why it hangs???

Please one of your computer guru geeks out there help me !!!!

Alice the Brit

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can get safe mode with networking the click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter

Alice the Brit

Alice the Brit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, so I *CAN* boot it up in Safe Mode with Networking -

I went to Start > Run

then typed in sfc/scannow

got the following pop-up

Windows cannot find 'sfc/scannow'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. TO search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search

So DID I type it in correctly??? I do notice you had a space in there

OK answred my own question there - I typed it in JUST as you wrote it did something - it flickered up a window that was gone in a flash, what do I do now, try and boot up in regular mode again ??????????????

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you get safe mode with networking see how you get on with this

Step 1

You will need to get your XP CD and locate the folder called:

I386

This is a major folder and should be one of the first you see, now copy this onto your hard drive into the system root. For most of you that is going to be C:\ so you should end up with a folder that looks like: C:\I386

-----------------------------

Step 2

Now you will need to tell your computer you now have the files on your PC. We do this is the registry (type regedit in the Run box on the start menu) by navigating to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side. The one we want is called:

SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to:

C:\

Simply double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer and try scannow sfc again!

Before this it was asking fot the XP Professional SP2 CD, now it asks for the XP Home Edition CD

It keeps asking for it though, so put the mouse over retry and keep clicking it, as it's into three figures and only half way, but at least it hasn't said it cannot do it

If you inserts the XP CD, cancel it when it shows the set up screen

Click start, my computer, right click the drive with XP CD, click explore, click i386 to highlight, click copy, you may need to press x to close the folder display so he can select copy, copy it directly to C

When you edit the registry, click the + for each key then click set up, on the right are two similar keys, it is the 2nd of the two, source path

Alice the Brit

Alice the Brit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Before I copy the entire I386 folder from my CD to the C: drive - I wanted to ask this question first -

There is already a I386 folder *ON* my C: drive (top level) - am I going to write over anything that is going to cause further problems ????

Alice

Alice the Brit

Alice the Brit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
another update...

I went onto part 2 (wihtout copying the I386 folder since they both are the same size 452MB) and went down to the path you pointed out...

Next to SourcePath it hasw REG_SZ under the Type columns then upder the Data column it has C:

note there is *NO* backwards slash AFTER the C: (like you put in your message)

Likewise the ServicePackSourcePath and Installation Sources only say C: as well - wheras the BoorDir one has C:\

Could this be the problem ???

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click start then search to look for i386 you should have a dozen or so, these are C:\Windows\Whatever\etc

You are looking to create C:\I386

Alice the Brit

Alice the Brit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
C:\i386 already exists on the laptop

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The system file check should have run from the drive, especially if the registry is edited

Alice the Brit

Alice the Brit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I changed all 3 of the C: to C:\ in the folder
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

Tried to run sfc /scannow again - same thing happens, which is

a window flash up, open and gone (way before I could read anything on it) and then nothing

Rebooting still gets hung Windows XP screen

So if it SHOULD have run but didn't - or IS running but not like it appears it should - with options, what do I do next???

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It didn't run as it takes 10 mins at least

Safe mode with networking should let you download this,

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Alice the Brit

Alice the Brit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
update

DID copy entire i386 folder from CD to C: drive and overwrote the one there
Instead of running the sfc /scannow from the Start > Run

i went to Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

THEN I typed in sfc /scannow

here is what I got back......

Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of portected system files

The Specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable]

What next - thanks in advance

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type services.msc then press enter, scroll down to remote procedure, there are two, double click the top one, set start up type to automatic, click apply, click start the service, the second one (locator) can be set to manual

If you got tune up then run it, click start up manager, remove the ticks from everything but firewall and av, though make a note of the ticks you remove, reboot and see if it is any quicker to load