Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

9800pro died, need help on new card!

• Please log in to reply

Bright/Night

Bright/Night

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So 1 week ago my 9800pro died on me. The wires that power the fan some how were caught inbetween two fins on the heat sink and were deepfried KFC style.

I am in the market for a new video card and I have narrowed my choices down. Either a eVGA 6600GT or an Apollo Geforce 6800 .

I can't decide what to get.

The 6600GT is only 128mb with a 128-bit interface with 8 piplines. But it has OpenGL 2.0 support.

The 6800 is 128mb with a 256-bit interface and has 12 pipelines with 4 more that can be unlocked. It only supports OpenGL 1.5 though.

I would be playing CS:Source most of the time. Also every now and then be playing DOOM3, QUAKE4, and GTA:San Andreas.

Recomendations are greatly appricated!

-Bright/Night

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Out of those choices the 6800 would be faster. I would stay away from the 128 mb cards. Try and get a 256 mb version.

The new 6800 gs would be your best bet but they only come in pci express as of right now. They are planning to release some agp versions of that card maybe by christmas. The 6800 gs is a hair better than the 6800 gt from what I saw on fps benchmarks.

6800 gs agp info...

http://www.nordichar...c=3910&forum=30

If you cant wait and want the fastest card for the money and stay under $200 look at the x800 gt 256 mb.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102618

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
both should be able to run all those games if you have the ram and processor to run it. but i recomend that the 6800 is better i have used both playing half life 2 and the 6800 worked better