Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

spilled tea messed up monitor

• Please log in to reply

Kim Gainey

Kim Gainey

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I spilled iced tea on my laptop (ibm think pad t23). I got a computer teacher to clean it up and got it running again. However, the monitor is horrible. How can i clean the inside of the monitor? The visuals blink and fade in and out and has lots of shadows. Is it possible to replace the monitor alone?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Clean the inside? monitors are sealed liquid cant get inside(besides they are liquid inside anyway), i would think liquid got into some of the circuitry in the onboard graphics and and has caused some damage, as far as i know there is not much you can do after liquid has damaged the circuitry like that.

Laptops are also a pain to work on everything is integrated especailly on the thinkpads ive got a 2 T21s and i could fix them if they were a desktop PC no bother but one is basically a write off and the other has limited funcionality just because its really difficult to fix problems with laptops or get into them to find the problem.
Liquid damage is really unfixable in a desktop as well mind you, perhaps there is someone else with an amazing insight in how to repair the laptop but i dont think there is much hope, you are lucky it works at all really.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I completely agree with warriorscot. If it is even possible to fix it, it would probably end up costing just as much as a brand new laptop.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
was it sweet tea? or unsweetened?

.......not gonna make much of a difference....if you spill liquid into..or onto an electrical device wile it's off....usually all you have to do is let it dry out....but if it's on...and you happen to cause a short...chances are it's a gonner (plus....the acids in the tea....are gonna cause alot of corrosion...and sweet tea is an electrolytic sollution so it conducts electricity better)

Josh Nansoz

Josh Nansoz

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
"spilled tea messed up monitor"

lol, sorry but i did laugh when i read that. you can replace just the moniter although as warriorscot said they are a pain to work on.

dont know which one you have but there are S***e loadz of different models and types ..etc..

so here is the link to get you a new moniter, just fill in the fields:

http://www-307.ibm.c...m&sitestyle=ibm

(btw im just assuming that they give you the option for moniters, if they dont and you really want to replace it then you could always look on ebay?)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Very unlikely the actual screen is damaged though, more likely the graphics adapter thats been fried.