Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

programs?

• Please log in to reply

ambmy9

ambmy9

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
i'm trying to figure out what programs i need to run and which i don't my computer isn't running slow but everytime i get online it says that i need to shut some of the proframs i'm running off. i just got this computer its used so i'm not sure yet what does what. can u help me figure out which does which? and i have one program (smc) don't know what it is but everytime i go to get online it stops responding. and i have to go on to the close program screen and shut it off.....so please :tazz:

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Sounds like Sygate Firewall. Can you confirm whether you have Sygate Firewall or not?

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi ambmy9,

If you are refering to the programs that run in the background - with 98se you need very few.

Click on Start > Run and type in msconfig then hit OK.

Click Startup and make sure there is a check mark in the box against statemgr, scanregistry, anything that relates to you AntiVirus and your Firewall.

You can un-check everything else - unless you particularly want it running (you can always go back and activate one later if necessary).

Take this opportunity to clear out some unwanted files.

Click on Start > Run type in %temp% > edit (in toolbar)> select all then delete.

Goto Control Panel - Internet Options and click on Delete Files.

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
yes i do have that fire wall should i uninstall it? and i have windows ME on this computer will that work on it

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
If you have ME it is advisable to have Systemtray running as well.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yes, uninstall it and try Zone Alarm instead. It tends to be more compatable.

Link to Zone Alarm

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
well both have seemed to work. thank you. :tazz: but i have one more thing to ask, everytime i get online and go to a site then leave it i have this little boxs that comes up asking if i want to get off line i checked the box saying to never ask me this again but it keeps showing up is there any other way i can shut it off

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Is the box from Zone Alarm? If so, I think I know how to stop it.

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
no i had sygate when it started but i uninstalled it and now i am useing zone alarm which seems to be working fine. i don't know what i did to make this come up, i would like to stop it if i can. :tazz:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
can you take a screenshot of the box that pops up for me? To do this:

1. When the box appears, press Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. It is found next to the Scroll Lock key.
2. Open Paint and paste. The screen shot will be pasted.
3. Save the screenshot somewhere that you can find it, and save it as a JPEG. You can select JPEG by clicking on the dropdown box next to Save as type.
4. Post the screenshot in your reply to me.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 01 December 2005 - 09:31 AM.

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Are you on dial-up?

Control Panel > Internet Connections > Connections > Settings > Advanced .......is there a check mark against "Disconnect when connection may no longer be needed"? if so remove it.

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
ok i was not able to do either of those, and my computer now wont let me long in to u guys to reply and to any other site i have to log in to. so..... i had to get my other computer and plug it back in (what a pain) so now i can long in. can u guys tell me how i can fix this.also on the computer i'm trying to fix i updated it to the me cd it came with but it only has 128mb on. would it help if it had more memory and if so can i use my memory out of my other computer because it has 300 something on. and if u ask ur self why don't u just use that one then its older and my cd burner does not work on it it broke.....so i it seems i have a lot of problems, hope u can help me fix them :tazz:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I'd love to help you, but we need to organize your problems.

What is the first problem you want to solve? And give me some specs on the computer with this problem.

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
well i found out why it would not let me log in to any site,it was the fire wall. so i uninstalled it then i just downloaded aols firewall which seems to be working fine.
i was still wondering if i could take the memory from my old computer and and put it in the one i'm useing now.
my old computer is a compaq persario 5600i and i think it is was made in 1999 and the other is a persario too but it is a (ez)2605 and i think its a 2000 something. my older computer has like 387mb and the newer one has 128mb.
also would i have to reinstall everything if i changed memory?
and if u need both computers info i do have everest on both so i could put boths info on here :tazz:

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
also i still have not figured out how to shut that auto disconection off.don't know what to do about it