Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC seeks A: drive twice instead of once on boot

• Please log in to reply

lolmeup

lolmeup

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone,

I have not been able to find any information regarding my problem, and I would appreciate whatever insights you may have. I installed AVG free anti-virus on my PC (windows XP pro), and I notice that instead of seeking the a: drive once on boot like usual, the PC checks the a: drive twice. The first time the a: drive is checked is before windows loads (normal); the second time the a: drive is checked is just before the windows logon screen (not normal). To be sure, I uninstalled AVG. The PC boots normally seeking the a: drive just once before loading windows. I can then log on without the PC seeking the a: drive again. I reinstall AVG and the a: is checked again a second time just before the logon screen. What's going on here? Is this normal or a sign of a larger problem?

Thanks for your help,
lolmeup

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
it is avg scanning the a: drive for virus before windows loads. if it is not causing problems then it is ok. i would get rid of avg and go with computer assoceiates etrust antivirus. it is one of the best out there. however it is not free