Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2003 unable to open default Email...

• Please log in to reply

Vergergc

Vergergc

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi all,

This may sound trivial to most, but I'm stuck. We had Outlook 2003 running fine for a couple days, having moved up from Outlook 2000 earlier this week. Yesterday, I think the PC rebooted itself while the Office 2000 CD was in the drive (had been trying to get Binder.exe working, and it was). I noticed in Add/Remove that both versions (Office 2000 and 2003) were installed. So, I uninstalled Office 2000.

Now, I can't get things lined up to start Outlook 2003 properly. It stops right away with this message "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. Create a new profile by double-clicking the Mail icon in Control Panel, clicking Show Profiles, and then clicking Add. After creating the new profile, make it your default, etc, etc, etc. ---- which I've tried to do over and over.

I can't seem to get this right - so I have nothing. No Email program to access various folders with many saved Emails, Send/Receive, etc.... I'm really stuck. If anyone can shed some light into my dark corner I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks!
Kent

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Did you upgrade from Office 2000 to Office 2003?? By that I mean, did you buy a upgrade version or a full version(Professional, Small Business, Standard, Student & Teacher) If it was a upgrade then the previous version must be installed also. Hope that this helps.

Vergergc

Vergergc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It's a full version office suite containing: Office, Visio, Front Page, Project Pro., OneNote. So, you think in my case Office/Outlook 2000 does not need to be installed along with 2003?

Thanks,
Kent

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Unistall both 2000 & 2003, then open window explorer and delete the Microsoft Office folder(It will be under the Program Files folder). Restart the computer, the install Office 2003 to see if this fixs the problem. Hope that this helps.

Edited by DHooper, 29 January 2005 - 09:07 PM.

Vergergc

Vergergc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I got it - thanks!! I'm going to pitch another issue in a new post to see if anyone can help me get MS Binder going with Office 2003.

Cheers!
Kent

Michael Bishop

Michael Bishop

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My problem is almost identical with Outlook Standard 2003. We already had Word 2003 Outlook Express 6 and upgraded Outlook to 2003 also. Should I therefore just uninstall Outlook Express 6 and Outlook 2003 and reinstall Outlook 2003?

If this should had been a new thread, I apologize, but it seems to be a continuation in my mind.

Thank you for your help.

Michael