Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Very Long Shutdown

• Please log in to reply

Des90

Des90

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
About a week ago I started experiencing intermittent issues with shutting down. This Windows XP Professional running Norton Internet Security. There have been no major changes in the system. Do use two of my USB ports, one for a camera and one for a thumb drive. Click on start, shutdown and a something appears to "pop" on the desktop, too quick to read though. If I try to run anything (sol as an example) I get a message that the "DLL failed to initialize because Windows is Shutting Down". This can take upward of five minutes and then finally the desktop icons disappear. After several more minutes I finally get the "Saving Settings" Message and it shuts down. All other aspects of the PC seem good. AdAware and Spybot scans reveal nothing. Last night it did something similar with the exception of getting a message that SW was not responding, end task, which I did. The night before it was fine... It's a Dell Dimension 3000 series purchased earlier this year, 160gb drive, 1gb memory.

Here is a copy of my Hijackthis log... (if it will help)

Removed HJT Log

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Thank You,
Desmond Lloyd

Edited by ScHwErV, 01 December 2005 - 07:31 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Des90!

I know from personal experience with many computers that long shutdowns are mostly caused by computers either having NIS or McAfee Security Center installed. In each case, uninstalling NIS or McAfee resolved the issue. What I suggest you do is uninstall NIS and install a different A/V program. AVG Free Edition is a GREAT Antivirus program. If you want added security you can either get Zone Alarm or Sygate, both are excellent firewall programs.

Fenor

Des90

Des90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank You Fenor,

Could something have changed with NIS that would have caused the symptoms to appear?

Regards,
Desmond

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
NIS in general is a very poorly made program. It causes more problems then it helps. The Norton A/V program ON ITS OWN is good, but when you add in all the other junk it just hoses your system good. Can't count the number of machines that have come into my shop where NIS or McAfee are the root of the problem, and removing them solves it.

Fenor

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Since your log is clean, I have removed it. If you have a malware problem, feel free to post your HiJackThis log in the Malware Removal forum.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Des90

Des90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank You Again Fenor (and everyone)

Guess I was being a little obsessive about Norton because I've used it for many years both corporately and at the home office... But ya know, it's the A/V Production that I've always used...

FWIW, I shut down the machine last night by disabling the Norton stuff and it proceded normally!

Hope everyone has a GREAT Day, although it's mid afternoon for you guys!!!

Regards,
Desmond

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if youwant to continue using norton...you can....just make sure that you don't have it configured to do a startup/shutdown scan...as that is usually what causes the issue...though i agree with fenor that norton...well...kind of sucks...it doesn't integrate well with windows...