Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezes up after I choose which system I want to run

• Please log in to reply

gman32888

gman32888

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey,
My system keeps on freezing up after I choose Windows Xp Operating system which is right after the motherboard checks the CMOS on startup. I was futzing around with the RAM and when I started it back up it said CMOS checksum error. I went to correct everything in CMOS which was back to the default settings and hit save and it continues. Then I selected Windows XP over a diffrent windows XP (i have two copies that I can choose from on startup) and it just freezes on the countdown till it automatically logs you in to the top selection. I cant figure out what the problem is... Anyone have any ideas?
Thank You,
Greg

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi gman32888! Welcome to G2G!

When you got the checksum error, did you reset the date and time to the correct information?

Fenor

gman32888

gman32888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thnz,I just tried it. Didnt work.

Edited by gman32888, 30 November 2005 - 09:50 PM.

gman32888

gman32888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
So far Ive,
Tried booting in Safe mode- Didnt go anywhere.
Tried booting from a CD. didnt go anywhere.
I have looked through BIOS and CMOS, but im not familiar with them so It didnt do much.
Ive tried making sure that all the wires are tightly in. Unless one wire has fallen out and I didnt realize because I may have thought it was already out.
Thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you have your Windows XP CD handy, I suggest you do is a REPAIR INSTALLATION of windows, using the link in my signature as a guide. Don't worry, after doing this all your programs will still work and you won't lose any files or settings. All this does is replace your operating system files (C:\WINDOWS). You will need to redo all windows updates after doing this.

Please note that not all OEM Windows XP cd's support this repair option. Please post back if you are unable to do the repair and we will pursue other options.

Fenor

gman32888

gman32888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thats the problem,
I tried doing that but (on most motherboards when you boot from CD in this case it does for mine)
it says "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration...."
but it seems to freeze there. This doesn't allow me to use the Repair tool on the windows CD.
Both of my harddrives show up as well and so does the ram, disc drive, floppy....everything (on startup)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What seems to be the problem is that there seems to be a conflict with something on your system. What is the last thing you remember doing before this problem started happening?

Fenor

gman32888

gman32888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Playing world of warcraft- (im 17) I turned off the computer to add the additional ram because the game has problems applying the patch when theres a certain type of ram in place. When I turned the computer on again then this problem began to arise. Maybe when I was inserting the ram I knocked out a wire that I dont kno of? I check that everything was tight- Im not sure about wat wires go where but I didnt mess around with switching wires up.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you tried taking about the new ram you inserted?

Fenor

P.S. -- Just because you play World of Warcraft doesn't mean you're a kid. I'm 28 and play it and my bro is 31 and he plays it as well. :tazz:

gman32888

gman32888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The game is AMAZING- I was working on gettin the patch installed for 4 days then this [bleep] happened right after I got it installed. Yeah I tried taking out th ram.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
And the problem occurred RIGHT AFTER you tried putting in the new RAM? What I mean is that the computer never booted up correctly since you put in the new ram.

Fenor

gman32888

gman32888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It wasnt new ram. It was older ram that I took out solely to install the patch.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Didn't answer my question. :tazz:

Fenor

gman32888

gman32888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The computer never booted up since I put the ram back in.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Okay, what I want you to do is check each of the IDE cables, and make sure they are SECURELY connected to both the Motherboard and each device the other end of the cable is connected to, aka hard drive, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, etc... Don't push them real hard as you don't want to damage the Motherboard or the devices themselves. If you feel your muscle tensing at all then you're pushing too hard. Also, make sure that the power connecters are securely attached to each of the devices that need power like the hard drive, CD/DVD-ROM drives, and your video card if it needs one, which I bet it does since you're playing WoW.

Of course doing all this with the computer turned off. :tazz:

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 30 November 2005 - 10:29 PM.