Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

winzip

• Please log in to reply

cva675

cva675

• Pip
  • 2 posts
More than likely I'll leave something out in my discription. I just bought a new hard drive. So I set the jumpers on both drives and now made the new one drive C:. I then istalled Windows, and started to install the usual stuff(antivirus, spybot , internet and so on). I then started to copy some files from the old drive (used to be my drive C:) I coppied most files no problems, until I got an error copy a zip file. It seemed to copy other zip files, but now it won't copy this one and many others. So it copies some zip files but not others. The ones I can't coy I can't do anything with. They are not read only or whatever else security there might be. So now if I reset the jumps on both drives to make my old drive , be the drive C: now and the new drive I jusst bought is now drive D:. I can now copy those very same zip files that I couldn't with the other drive as drive C:. I tried useing regular windows zip instead and I get the same thing. If I now create a zip file with this setup and change the drives around again, I can not read the zip file I just created, when booted up from the new drive I just bought. I tried to make sure I don't have anything funny set in the winzip program that creates a zip file. I am useing admin rights in both cases. I can read and write zip files with the new drive. Like I said, may be forgetting some of the most important info, but I hope with this much someone has seen this problem before. Thanks guys.

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Sounds to me like your drives are fighting for OS control, even if the jumpers are in the right place.. ( This is just a guess though )

Be sure that your old C: is recognized as just a drive, not as the System drive.

cva675

cva675

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
What you say makes sence. But I don't think I know how to check if the drives are set for control or not? Can you give me a few pointers. Now that you say this I did try to open a single folder in my documents on the old drive while booted from the new drive. I think I may try disconnecting the old drive and see if I can read that same file. Thanks for your help.