Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What if its not Spyware or a Virus?

• Please log in to reply

Absorb

Absorb

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
What if i just happen to delete important files by mistake? and discarded any trace of backup.. can i find the missing files? How will i know what files are missing? or will I have to settle with reinstalling windows?

I'm sorry i may be off topic but im just wondering

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
XP would usually continue to run, providing you did not use a process which required the deleted files

However, when the PC is rebooted, it will check the file system then prompt you to re-install them

XP is unlikely to attempt to delete a critical system file without a prominent warning or refusal

If you think a system file has been deleted, click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you will need the XP CD. You would need to do this before rebooting

Absorb

Absorb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
OHH I see. Thanks for replying!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What I do when I suspect a file of being a troublemaker, but am not sure, is to make a zipped copy of it in the folder so it can be recovered and yet not give trouble if it is a problem child.

Absorb

Absorb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

If you think a system file has been deleted, click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you will need the XP CD. You would need to do this before rebooting

That is the problem, what can i do if i do not have an XP CD. Can the files be found online? Can i create my own XP CD through my Windows XP?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Usually a PC is supplied with a recovery partition or recovery CD, did you end up with neither

Absorb

Absorb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
My computer does have an extra drive. (H:) it is 4GB and it says that theres only 500MB of space left.. There is one folder in this drive called Recovery, however when i open it it seems to be empty, so i do not know whats taking up 3.5 GB of space in that drive...

Absorb

Absorb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
This is something i would like to do with my pc.. to make it run faster.. I only have one question before i follow these steps. What other alternatives do I have if I do not have an XP CD.. I do have an extra partition, or HD called Presario RP (H:)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check with HP to see how the recovery partition was set up

Options are just XP or XP and other drivers