Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why does site not show up in FireFox or Netscape?

• Please log in to reply

TheRelief

TheRelief

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what was going on...I'm working on an HTML site in Dreamweaver. When I created the template, I checked the box for XHMTL. I'm also using CSS.

When I look up the site in IE, it appears fine. But when I went to test in FireFox and Netscape, I get a page showing the internal coding instead.

This is the first time I've done a template with the XHMTL box checked so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. Here's the link to a page on the site:

http://www.pegasusin...m/portfolio.htm

Thanks for any info or direction you can shed!

Advertisements

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Zend Optimizer requires Zend Engine API version 20050606.
The Zend Engine API version 20021010 which is installed, is outdated.

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:04:56 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) PHP/4.3.11
Last-Modified: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:51:44 GMT
ETag: "538008-22ff-438b8a00"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 8959
Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100
Connection: Keep-Alive
Content-Type: text/html

These are not html codes, they're just regular text.

TheRelief

TheRelief

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Whatever it is, do you know why that is showing up and not the page?

TheRelief

TheRelief

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Whatever it is, do you know why that is showing up and not the page?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Works okay in Firefox 1.5. Nothing in the code that would stop it working in any browser. Might have been a Dreamweaver oddity.

I don't see any message regarding the Zend Engine though.

TheRelief

TheRelief

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
So you see the actual web pages? When I look up the site in FF or Netscape, I just get the text like the screenshot Lil_Cat_Luver provided.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

So you see the actual web pages? When I look up the site in FF or Netscape, I just get the text like the screenshot Lil_Cat_Luver provided.

Ah now I see the text about Zend but it doesn't always the display of the site as a whole in Firefox.

Having had a Google, This seems to be an incompatiblity issue between Zend, which is a web technology that in a nutshell speeds up the transfer of data between server and your PC, and Gecko, Firefox's webpage rendering engine. Although this can also be an incompatibility between PHP 4.4.x and that version of Zend.

Nothing you can do about it, you'll have to relay the error message to your web host and point out that this URL might be of interest:
http://www.zend.com/...651&thread=4638

As for why it works okay In IE6 and often moans in Firefox, I can't really explain it. It also breaks in Opera 8.51.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
It takes about 20 seconds to load, but the actual page does show up, and it shows up below the zend engine code. I don't know what is the zend engine code for, but if it's nothing major, just get rid of it.

TheRelief

TheRelief

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have no idea what it is either. It's not something I put in there. It's just a regular ol' web page, nothing fancy, designed in Dreamweaver. The only thing I did differently was check the box enabling XHTML. I'm thinking this has something to do with it; what do you think?

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Personally, I have never used Dreamweaver, so I don't know if they're related, but I know those are definitely not HTML and certainly not XHTML.

Since you have no idea what it is, I think you should just remove it. If the rest of the page has correct coding, it should show up properly. Also, try validating the page on http://validator.w3.org/ I validated this page through direct input (apparently it doesn't accept htm extensions, so you might want to change that), and a couple of minor errors came up.

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
I would suggest putting a title on the site.
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

in my tab it says "Untitled Document"
In the line of code I posted above you could put this
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
<title>pegasus investments, llc</title>
<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
That way if someone is using tabs, with more then one site open, they know what that tab is instead of closing it without any idea what it was..

Edited by Dragon, 07 December 2005 - 11:14 AM.

TheRelief

TheRelief

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for that input, but that's the least of my issues right now. The site is in the process of being built and all those details will be done once I get a site that views properly in all the main browsers.

So the problem at hand is what on earth that text is, and why is it appearing and not the page itself.

If you have some ideas or information on that question, I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
I'd like to say I know what it is, but I dont' get it on either FF 1.0.7 or 1.5.

but it appears to be an error code.

Zend Optimizer requires Zend Engine API version 20050606.
The Zend Engine API version 20021010 which is installed, is outdated.

like lil cat luver, I don't use Dreamweaver either.

The Zend Optimizer is for php files, are you running php on the page? It's not a webhost issue, otherwise everyone would get the message above regardless. which obviously isn't the case..

it might have something to do with Dreamweaver but I'm not sure, check the documentation that came with the program to find out if it uses it.

TheRelief

TheRelief

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
No, I'm not running any php...that's the weird thing. It's just a plain, simple site. Well, I guess I'll have to keep scratching my head. Hopefully this can be resolved.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
hmm, i wonder if a different server would matter. If your willing just to check this out,
you could send the files and I could upload to my server temporarily, that way you could check it out using my server and we can rule out the possibility of it being web host related.

If you are ok with doing that, let me know and I will send you a pm with my email address to send it to.