Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP with new update plz.

• Please log in to reply

paperone

paperone

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
:tazz:
Hi all,

I bought a computer second hand with windows allready installed. Everything worked fine with updates and so on untill yesterday when windows made a new update. In some way they putet a new program in my pc thru the update that once again validates the software installed. And now on startup there is a microsoft baner that tells me I dont have a correct version even if I payed a lot monney for it. Irritating microsoft! :) There is also a new Icon next to the clock. I tryed to make a system recover but it did not work. What did they put in?

PLZ

Any help would be great. :)

Waiting for reply

Regards

Paperone

Edited by paperone, 01 December 2005 - 02:48 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click view downloaded programme files, right click genuine validation, click delete, confirm delete

Click start, control panel, security centre, change the way security centre alerts me, remove tick from automatic updates, click apply, set automatic updates to off, reboot

After the reboot, click start, my documents, click help, click is this copy of windows legal, follow the instructions

If it returns a negative response, make a note of the details then contact the vendor

It may be the installation of the genuine validation tool is corrupt, after removing it, windows update will expect to re-install it

You can look at validation here

http://www.microsoft...?displaylang=en

paperone

paperone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ty

That helped. I have fixed it now.

Best regards

paperone

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

It is unusual that it started rejecting the validation tool so hopefully the installation became corrupt, however, if it happens again, check with microsoft that you do have a valid copy because illegal copies are usually chock full of unwanted bits, and even if you have to replace the whole thing 75 USD is cheap for the peace of mind