Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Howto install a deleted Win Installer 3.1

• Please log in to reply

Classy2

Classy2

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello my smart technicians, I maybe did a stupid thing to delete "windows installer 3.1) because how can I install a new one.
Faithful,
classy

Edited by Classy2, 01 December 2005 - 05:03 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you can also go to microsoft.com and look for windows installer 3.1 v2.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;893803

you should be able to download and install this.

Starjax

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I do not have XPs CD to replace any missing files if this is what I needed to use sfc/scan now.
Can you please tell me how do I get the link on my desktop, in order to Reinstall Windows Installer 3.1. I have been instructed in the past from the technicians on here programs install corectly from the desktop.
Classy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The links in posts 2 and 3 take you to the download for windows installer, click run though and it will install OK

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Thank you kieth. I will install windows as soon as my malware is removed. Dragon is helping me out.
An off the topic but important to make writing more understandable; How do I use the "quote icon"ubove?
Repetfully,
Classy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts

How do I use the "quote icon"ubove?

If you click add reply instead of fast reply then highlight the text then click quote button it should add it as a quote

Once you have clicked add reply, if you scroll down you can see a list of posts in that thread, highlight any text, click copy then paste it in is another way

An off the topic but important to make writing more understandable; How do I use the "quote icon"ubove?
Repetfully,
Classy

If you click fast reply then highlight text from any post then return to your reply, a box with add selected text as quote should show

Repetfully,
Classy

If any of the steps Dragon ask you to do require an XP CD you can borrow one to replace files, as long as it is the same version of XP that was used to install on the PC originally

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I am being told "theres a copy of XP on my hard drive". HUH? True or not?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Usually a branded system like Dell or HP would include a recovery partition, though you would need to ask them about its capabilities because some are loaded with just XP and some are loaded with XP and other drivers

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
It said it was checking system configurations, the blue bar which shows its downloading did nothing And it does not show up in control panel.
I have been having problems in failure to intialize and finding the mauffacture and auther.

What needs to be fixed?
Classy

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have broadband or a friend with broadband there is a programme which will load installer for you, it is a 112MB file so trying for it on Dial Up is not likely to work as the ISP may have a time limit

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hi Kieth,
I have cable and did download Windows downloader 3.1. After my com puter wouldn't go on the internet, google said to use Winsock to get back online. And ever since I've been having trouble with windows updates recognizing my XP Program as authentic. And looking for the author and/or manufacturer.
Are you saying my broadband is turning off too soon?
Besides Restoring everything, do you have any other suggestions on how to ghet Windows Installer installed and working correctly?
Drasticly, I think of removing SP2 and reinstall from there?
Respecting your expert advice,
Classy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can borrow a same version copy of an XP CD, this should be XP Home with SP1, when it asks for the product key, you enter yours from the sticker on the PC case

If you can borrow a copy then

You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Keith, My friend has XP I think she has SP1 & I have SP2. What should I do?
Classy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You have XP SP1 if you had to download SP2 to install it, so you need an XP SP1 disc

I think of removing SP2 and reinstall from there?