Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

get "no booting device" message

• Please log in to reply

Cailin

Cailin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
It worked! Got the computer to turn on and my paper is there!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did it boot into your normal windows version? or did it say something about loading setup...then loading the ubcd?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a better way for me to find out that info is....does the "start" button in the bottom left corner say start...or ubcd4win

Cailin

Cailin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok, 1st it came to some weird screen that said something about change in setup (didn't get much of a chance to read it) and I wasn't certain what to do, but then it just started up automatically. I'm actually on my computer right now, as I rushed to see if I could get it to work on the internet so that I could send myself the paper as an attachment. As far as I can tell it is in the normal windows (it says "start")

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wow....hehe...so..in the start menu...all of your programs are there?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
It's cool that it works now, but the UBCD shouldn't have fixed it like that. Did you change the boot order in Setup or some other setting, or did all you do is put in the UBCD?

Cailin

Cailin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Everything is still here... microsoft word files, pictures, saved music. I am so impressed! :tazz:

And no, I didn't change anything in the boot setup. Just put the CD in and turned the computer on, then went to that screen and now is working. I take it there was supposed to be more to it than that?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hahah yeah...a whole lot more...but....whatever works....

Cailin

Cailin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Any ideas on what would happen if I took the disc out?

Cailin

Cailin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok, so I turned the computer off and took the CD out, then restarted... and it started normally! Not certain what happened to make it suddenly recover, but I'm not going to complain!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Haha...great! Guess your computer got afraid of us and decided to work again. :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you can't fix it....scare it into submission....it usually takes a threatening look and a hammer....but...if it's afraid of a cd...then...woohoo...

on that note....we have absolutely no idea what was/is wrong with your system....so...keep us posted if you have any other issues

Cailin

Cailin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I did realize as I was going through setup when preparing for Linxus that at some point during the attempts to get the computer to boot again that I or my friend who was trying to help me had disabled all the booting devices. I distinctly remember then being enabled the first time I came into set up yesterday morning though, so it doesn't explain the original problem of not being able to find a booting device.

It has been a [bleep] week though, so maybe my computer decided that it would make it even worse by faking its own death. Or it was pissed because of all the school work I was doing on it. Or the fact that the night before its problems I was talking to my housemate about how much I love my computer made fate step in for some reason or another. :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
maybe there was a mob hit put out on the machine and it was laying low....unless the issue repeats..we'll have no good clue to the cause

Cailin

Cailin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi!

Just wanted to update and say that my computer is still working perfectly. No sign of any problems and no indication of what the problem was in the first place.

Thank you guys so much for all your help! I know it pretty much ended up resolving itself, but knowing I had some help was pretty much the only thing that kept me sane for the two days where it wouldn't work. You guys are awesome! :tazz: