Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

creating a new computer system from I.E

• Please log in to reply

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
:tazz:
I recently posted a question about how to make a custom "lcars" system rather than using windows
Now that i have been told it is near impossible to do i have another idea but i will need help
my plan is to have a group of html files on the pc , the idea being is that i simply put the I.E on full screen.

To do this tho i need to know certin things

1) how do i access my own files on the pc from a web page on the pc?

2)when it reads the files can i make and how do i make custom symbols etc for diffrent types of files
and can i set it so if doubled clicked it will open in a part of the frame of the page

3) how do i make a media player in the page with custom buttons

4) how do i make custom pop ups that will stay in the window at full screen (for when i want to maximise a file)

5)how do i edit word documents etc from the web page

6)how to i get games to play from the web site, can you double click on them to have them open at fullscreen like it does normally

any help would be VASTLy appriacted thanks everyone!

Thero

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you wanting to have a computer without windows..just I.E. and HTML pages?

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
i'll leave windows on cos if something major needs doing like removing programs etc i can do it through that but for every day use i can use the I.E to have a custom interface

is this possible to do this i ask because in web hosting sites you access files etc

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
why would you want to do this...?

or for a better question...what exactly are you trying to create?

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Hmm, this is a strange request :tazz: but I think I can answer some of your questions, or try to anyways.

I'm guessing you would just create a standard webpage, and instead of linking files like <a href="http://www.blah.com"> you would use <a href="file:///C://blah">

2)when it reads the files can i make and how do i make custom symbols etc for diffrent types of files
and can i set it so if doubled clicked it will open in a part of the frame of the page

That could be done just with different images, and an iframe

I think this could done with javascript, but in my opinion, it's quite complicated.

4) how do i make custom pop ups that will stay in the window at full screen (for when i want to maximise a file)

Chromeless popups will do that. However, you will not have the option to resize it, it stays at the full screen size until you close it.

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
I have attached a picture of a web hosting site i use, it automatically scans the files i got for my site on their server and puts them up like that, how can i do a similar sort of thing for part 1)

Attached Thumbnails

• eg.jpg

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
Recently I have been forking on a project like this using python. The trick here though when making soemthing like this, is you should think how in soem way can I offer featurse that the existing OS's cannot. although this prject does interest me and I am isnterested to see how this turns out for you.

as file refrences would work but you could look at a combination of PHP and MSQL for it to track and store files for you internaly in the program.

This again could be managed with PHP and a MySQL database.

you could always develope the media player using macromedia flash. that would probly be the best way.

Have to agree with lil_cat_luver on this one