Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux is simple! proof

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
I think most people declare that Linux is hard after about an hour or two of trying somewhat half-heartedly to use it and often not even really expecting it to work.
The average computer user knows how to use Windows exactly. When there's no "Start" button they get confused and decide that it's not worth the trouble to learn how to operate Linux when they already know how to operate Windows, and so they don't research it very much at all. As a result, they don't know anything about Linux and it feels foreign to them and is therefore "hard".

If Linux had gotten as much publicity and stuff as Microsuck did, back when computers were just emerging, it would be entirely conceivable that they switch places from what they are today; with Windows being considered "hard" and Linux the industry standard that everyone uses.

Just my theory; I've never actually talked about Linux with someone who thought that it was "hard".

Everyone I have convinced to try Linux has liked it, and while most still use Windows in one way or another they usually prefer Linux, most common reasons being that "it doesn't make me feel like an idiot", "it's more straightforward", and "it's a lot less buggy and viruses are no problem".
Plus, it's free (well, most of it, and the commercial distro's aren't much better at all than the free ones, as far as I can tell) :tazz:

Advertisements

akashlee

akashlee

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
whats the biggest differneces?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Just read a few of my most recent Networking Posts to see how easy Linux is... I am pretty good at networking, but I am very very bad at trying to make Linux's Fedora Core 4 work along with windows and a dual boot. I am currently on my third PC crash that caused me to repartition/reformat/reload windows. I am about ready to strangle Linus Torvald and all his lackeys :tazz: If anyone would like to give me an IDIOTS Guide step by step easy installation instructions for Fedora Core 4 with a Dual boot for XP Pro I would not hesitate to accept it. I have laready tried the most popular google walkthroughs and they are WRONG.. as I have experienced with my frequent crashes. I make it through all the installation procedures and after completing them when my computer starts up All I get is a black sceen with a blinking cursor that automatically keeps entering the text "02" over and over for hours.

OR

It boots up fine then as soon as the Logon screen comes up and I log on I go back to the "02" again

But on a Lighter Note :) I like the concept and look of Linux and I am very anxious to get the darned thing working... It just seems to be a little beyond my technical expertise :)

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 14 January 2006 - 09:06 AM.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Space cowboy may i recommend Virtual pc its practically idiot proof even i didnt mess up on it lol just drop me a message on msn removed email for safety and ill tell you how to use it and ill post a tutorial here as well

Also warriorscot you know you can use any windows application/game on linux all you need to do is make sure 1 partition has windows install then you use a emulator (i prefer WINE which comes standard with suse) to run your .exe files and any other msdos files and tada you dont even need to use windows to play windows games. btw its pretty complicated to learn to use emulator but once you finally get it to work it will be easier each time after =) enjoy

lovethepirk

lovethepirk

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
I offer my help along with Dragon for anyone needing to get NDISwrapper working.

It took me forever as I have a Broadcom Wireless chip in my ailing laptop :tazz:

Got it all working now.

DeathOutdone

DeathOutdone

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
I havent actually used it, it looks too hard...I mean, I would rather not go to all of the extra work when I love Windows and when it works so well, just my 2 cents.

derek2005

derek2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

I havent actually used it, it looks too hard...I mean, I would rather not go to all of the extra work when I love Windows and when it works so well, just my 2 cents.

I love windows, especially XP. I will always use windows since its a lot easier to play games on it than linux. Yes i have used wine, cedga and crossover office but some games just won't work lol. But I love Linux for its networking capablilities, security and how easy it is to do some other stuff. With linux, you get a lot of free software that you would have to pay for using windows :tazz: