Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavillion with windows XP

• Please log in to reply

safires

safires

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My HP Pavillion 533W with windows XP keeps shutting down. I did a destructive recovery and now it wont even let me into safe mode before it shuts down. The green light in the back of the computer is on, the fans are all clean and running. When I press f8 at start up it gives me the option to enter different modes but then it shuts itself down..... HELP!!!

Here is the info on my computer that I posted about. I did a destrutive recovery by pressing f10 at start up. I did this because for the past few days it would shut itself down sometimes after an hour or two, sometimes after a few minutes. Didnt matter whether I was on a website or just in the opening screen. I tried system restore before all this and it didnt help. I had no infections that I know of. So now when I tap f8 at start up it gives me the options to enter different modes but whatever one I try brings up a scren
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)windows\system32\drivers\agp440.sys
The above string is the last line of many.
I tried to go into safe mode with command prompt and after the above strings came up it tried to go into safe mode but I received a windows message stating that the system is not fully installed, please run set up again. I pressed ok and it went to the loading windows XP sreen and then shut itself off. I can not turn on the computer to try to enter normal mode it shuts itself off almost instantly.
Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated

Thank you

Edited by safires, 02 December 2005 - 01:09 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you give us just a little bit more info.

full specs of the machine
why did you have to do a "destructive" recovery?
How did you do the "destructive" reovery?

are there any error codes before it shuts down?
does it shut down? or restart?

safires

safires

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I reposted into original message.

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have your xp cd? or just an hp system recovery cd?

safires

safires

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have no CD's my computer has a built in recovery. I cant make floppys as the other computer I have has no floppy drive. So I cant make a set up and the recovery I performed must not have worked....

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Did u do System Recovery by pressing F10 ?

safires

safires

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes I did.

safires

safires

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I still have a dead computer. i have been all over this forum looking for anyone else that may have run into this. But to no avail. :tazz: The computer I am on now also has built in recovery with no XP CD's. If anyone can give a girl some advise besides having to take my computer in for repair I sure would appreciate it. I dont know what else to try at this point. I cant get into anything to do any kind of fix.

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Well my System Recovery in my HP Pavilion Desktop corrupted and i bought £25 CD's so i can do the system recovery through that and i think the CD's are much better becuase i can select to start from Day 1 so ill have the software that came on the pc when i first bought it and then the software i installed GONE! which i backed up of course you could try asking the shop u bought the pc from and just say my pc didnt come with System Recovery CD's and i cant logon may i buy some. they might give you the number for HP Technical support and just say can i purchase some Recovery CD's which are ( £25/$43 ) which is a little Dear. But anyway those CD's took 2 weeks to come overseas but apart from that you must get them.. You should buy the CD's and see if it makes a difference instead of pressing F10...I have to say HP Systems are a pane when it comes to system Recovery but i like them lol.. oh and if you do ask for the CD's make sure you get your Model ready of your hp computer

Edited by NvidiaDude, 06 December 2005 - 01:10 PM.