Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Create a DVD for PC use only with registration

• Please log in to reply

hairstorm

hairstorm

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I would like to create a DVD that is plays on PCs only, but plays only if the DVD is registered by phone or by internet. Sort of how Windows XP or any other software operate.

Does anyone know which company does this, and what the procedure is called? That's a form of encryption?

If this is sort of a form of encryption, can this encryption be broken?

thank you for your time

Chris

Advertisements

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hi,

It's possible and a lot of people do it, you would be making a data DVD that auto runs when you load it into the DVD Drive, then a menu would come up where you enter the code or what have you.

Any software design company should be able to do this.

If your near Sydney tell me and I will look around, if not:

In google type “CD Authoring” or “software development” or something along those lines. Check the phone book for multimedia production companies, basically your looking for a company that makes CD and DVD multimedia discs, games are an example of the type of thing your looking for. All you need is someone that knows how to use DVD/CD authoring software.

Macromedia Authorware 7 is a product that can make these DVD's:

http://www.macromedi...e/?promoid=BINL

If this is sort of a form of encryption,
Yes.

can this encryption be broken?
Always. If you send your product to millions of people, someone will break it, but if you send it to say, 100, or 1000, chances are none of these people will know how to break encryption.

Good Luck!

Edited by st22, 01 December 2005 - 04:05 PM.

hairstorm

hairstorm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you very much for the info I really appreciate it. :tazz: :) :) :woot: :woot: